What to do about roosters? Advice Please.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deborah, Sep 9, 2008.

1. deborah

deborah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    We hatched 5 chicks this spring, early April, and 3 turned out to be roosters.

In June, the first one started to crow. This was a "no no" with our neighbor and we dispatched him near the end of the month. He's in our freezer.

That left 2 more. Fortunately, the neighbor moved!! We weren't sure how the new neighbor would feel. (We have deed restrictions that don't allow chickens. We are on 18 acres, zoned agricultural, dead end dirt road . . . and can't have chickens! But that's another story). With the deed restrictions, we didn't risk upsetting any neighbors. So a friend of ours who decided to get chickens this year thought she could take another rooster. At the time we thought it doubtful we would be able to keep a rooster. Only one of the two was crowing at that time, but he was our favorite of the two. So we gave her our favorite, figuring we were "saving" him. He is 3-4 weeks older than her chickens. She had gotten 16 barred rocks, including 1 rooster. Then someone gave her 4 more female chicks that were a few weeks younger. So she thought with 19 hens, she could use 2 roosters. She likes this guy, but I know he is giving her Barred Rock rooster a hard time. She tells us he is the "king" at her house.

Since then, we've talked with the new neighbors, and a rooster is ok with them. The rooster we have left is now crowing. He's 5 months old. He did a good job warning us when a hawk came around. He's breeding with the hens his age, though our older hens won't have anything to do with him yet.

Now after that long-winded explanation, the questions. We think it was a mistake for our friend to take this rooster. Will her younger rooster ever have a chance? My husband is suggesting we offer to take back the rooster we gave her. He liked that rooster better and he was bigger. He's been gone about a month. I agree it might be best to remove him from our friend's flock. But our flock is fine right now. If we brought him back would we be inviting problems? We have 14 hens and I think 2 roosters is too much, though they got along before we separated them. Rooster 2 didn't crow, but hung out with rooster 1. Now that they've been separated would they still get along? I think if we bring hat rooster back, we would probably have to put our current rooster in the freezer. (How old is too old to butcher a rooster?) Any suggestions?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes, 14 hens with 2 roosters is one too many roosters. I really think you would have problems bringing back your other rooster.

However, can you rehome the rooster you have now and then bring back your favorite Roo? He'd have his own flock and there wouldn't be problems between two boys.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

The rule is 1 roo for 10-12 hens. So you have too many and they will fight. B3etter to have the largest for dinner and make everyone happy.

4. deborah

deborah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    How important do you think it is to get him out of our friend's flock?

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Well, pretty important. They WILL fight if there are not enough hens. Grab the meanest and keep him seperate. The rest will remain happy and productive.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    As a variation on this question, I also have two roos for 15 hens, but one of the boys is a bantum and one is a standard. Both are 20 weeks old and have had no problems with each other. Actually, the banty is in charge and the standard buff is his henchman. Can they coexist peacefully or am I going ot have to seperate them in a month or two?

I think you should ask for the roo back or perhaps trade with her. You just can't go wrong if it's the roo hubby prefers. It gives you some leverage when you want to get more chicks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by