What To Do About Shadow? Long, Need Input...(PICS ADDED)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by speckledhen, Jul 29, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You may know that Shadow is my self-blue banty Cochin cockerel. He's the only bantam I own, a little man among giant women, LOL. I have a dilemma. He, Panda, my SLWs and my GLW are all about 11 weeks old. Soon, after the Welsummer cockerel is gone from the nursery group, I'll incorporate those six youngsters in with the month-older kids, then later with the main laying flock. Poor tiny Shadow will be run over by all those much larger pullets and Dutch.
    I'm thinking about separating him with maybe 4-5 of his very own ladies so he can feel like THE MAN, at least in his small group. Pure eggs aren't a big deal in that case. I have several Ameraucanas and my one Easter Egger, June, who are all of a smaller body type than my Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, etc. I may put Dutch, his younger brother Mace and a Delaware cockerel with the big laying flock (plenty of women) and put Shadow in the hexagonal Firetower Coop with his harem.
    I feel like if I dont, he'll have to find a new home. Right now, he's living in the Firetower with Panda, the SLWs, the GLW and Dutch's younger brother, Mace. Say, if I put Shadow in with my Blue and Splash Ameraucana girls, June the Easter Egger, CJ my accidental cross of Buff Orp and blue Frizzle hen and Panda (who should lay green eggs, being BR over AMeraucana)do you think anyone would ever be interested in eggs from that wild combination? CJ would be the only one that lays brown eggs; all others will be in shades of blue or blue-green (June is almost 18 weeks old and is the same size as the month younger chicks she lives with).
    What would you do? Give him some of the smaller women in his own coop or just sell him? He's absolutely adorable with good foot feathering and who knows what a cross would look like with these Ameraucana girls, LOL?!

PICS NEXT PAGE

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    OMG......... so simple......You should totally keep him. I think you already know this [​IMG]

3. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    I had trouble with a bantam cochin unable to properly mount standard-sized hens... so he'd grab their combs while they were bent down eating. Ouch! I think it was the only thing he could reach. This was Ameraucanas, as well. Of course, this was also a ruffian roo. [​IMG]

If he doesn't have trouble in that way and is good with the girls, you might generate interest by hatching a few of the chicks and posting pictures of them as they feather out. I've hatched some Faverolles-Wheaten Ameraucana crosses that are insanely beautiful. I think "barnies" are sometimes the prettiest birds there are.

Also, people here in general know in what good condition you keep your birds, so I imagine there would be some interest even without that. After all, we know you don't like to use an incubator...

[​IMG]

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I say give him his own flock. I have 7 new hatchers under 30 days old, and I am planning to let them become Ugly Eddy's flock. He's a sweet roo, but in the present flock, he's at the bottom of the totem pole.
    Your crosses will be cute, and what's more desireable than a cute little huggable fluffy chicken?

5. speckledhen

Do you think he'd be hurt in my huge flock of big women and bigger roosters? Or should I separate him with his own ladies? I do think he's really cute. He has little bars across his feathers you dont see till you look closely. I just dont want him to be hurt and therefore, unhappy.

6. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Oh seperate him and give him his own ladies for sure.

7. speckledhen

Quote:Very funny, LOL. I'm really leaning toward keeping the little guy. My DH says he's not growing, he's too small, he'll never be able to mate any of the girls, etc. BUT, he likes the little rooster and makes sure he gets a blueberry when he can't battle the others and get one for himself when I throw them some, LOL. I was thinking about the Delawares for that Firetower, but I think it suits Shadow better, in general. It's also a covered pen, so he's not hawk-bait there.

8. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have a EE bantam rooster and he sucessfully mates all my standard hens. He has 9 ladies......i think he likes the smaller ones best, but he does not discriminate [​IMG]

9. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Hmm... you know the OTHER solution would be to get some bantam ladies for him.

(Is there an evil grin smiley?)

[​IMG]

10. speckledhen

Oh, my. My DH would SHOOT me, LOL! Yes, where is that evil grin? Oh, here it is![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by