What to do about stressed out (goat) doe?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickylou, Mar 24, 2009.

1. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I think my little Nigerian doe, Buttercup, is stressed out and I believe drying up as well.

I picked her up Saturday and I could tell she was nervous then. She doesn't eat much grain and is always nervous about Petunia (exerting herself as Queen through head banging and nipping).

Is there any way to de-stress a goat?

Also, this morning, I barely got any milk from her. She ate, maybe, half a cup of grain this morning in the milking stand. She runs from me (that I can understand). She huddles next to Petunia, but then Petunia gets mean with her.

Bummer is, they also don't want treats. Maybe just too stressed for that blessing.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in Advance [​IMG]

2. Zgoatlady

Zgoatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
    You need to tell me more, have you check her temp. Not eating is a sign of being off and also low on milk.
    Cheri

3. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    Based on the information, I would call the problem shipping stress. There are lots of opinions on treating shipping stress, most commonly is to De-worm the goat. Check her temp and if that is good try to get her a B-complex shot. I had a concern the other day and we were out of B-complex so I went to the nearest vet and bought a dose for $5. B complex will jump start her appetite. If she has a temp, pick up some antibiotics, one of the 'cillians or tetracycline, but not both (they will offset each other). B-complex can be used with any of it, it is water soluable and what the goat doesn't need she will pass out through her urine.

I hope that all goes well!

Chris

PS tetnus antitoxin won't hurt either!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  4. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Will Goatade work? We just got some coming from Hoegger's with our order.

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

My Snubian was stressed for a while after we got her - seems like ~3 weeks before she really started eating well. I kept trying treats until I found one she loves - the 4-way sweetfeed for the cow has steamed, rolled corn that she loves. I've been using it for catching her, etc. She eventually went back to eating her regular grain & hay well, but a small handful of the sweetfeed still makes a nice occasional treat.

If you are interested in clicker training, try it with your goat. Mine picked it up really fast & it makes putting the collar on her much easier... I need to get my stanchion built and work with her using the clicker to get her totally destressed about going on the stanchion.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  6. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Might try seperating her till she gets used to a routine and with new goats they do need to be in quarantine for 30 days and where they can see each other and get to know each other or you get what is happening. Sometimes if they are low on the pecking order it causes problems. I give baking soda for upset tummies and also a shot of fortified B-complex. Does she have a temp? If its high she will need a shot of banamine. Is she drinking water? Lots of things cause stress and you need to give her som CD antitoxin to help with her upset tummy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by