What to do about strong ammonia smell?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LeRa37, Oct 7, 2013.

1. LeRa37

LeRa37 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    I hope to get some tips! We clean our backyard coop everyday rain or shine, however we had 5 days of heavy wind and driving rain that soaked the sand under coop and in the enclosure. It was sunny today and warmer, but the smell is so strong. We tried putting a fan on and raking sand. We added a few new bags of dry sand :(and mixed it all in..........no improvement. Does anyone know how we can get rid of or make the smell better? Is baking soda an option, or is that harmful?:(

:(

2. micah O

micah O Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    at the computer.
    Put some mistral on it that might cure it.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can try some sweet pdz or stall dry. It is expensive though. I don't know if it will help you or not.

4. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    Hummm? Do you have too many birds for the space that you have? Is your coop sitting in a low spot and is not draining appropriately? I would try some PDZ. But it sounds like you will have to keep that up. If you are cleaning the poop out of the coop every day it shouldn't smell that bad.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Mix in some pelletized Lime (Calcium Carbonate) and it will help with the odor
    Last time I bought some a 40 lb bag was only about $5

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  6. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Tractor Supply has 40 lb bags of Lime for $3. They also have Sweet PDZ which is produced to knock down smells in horse stalls. Works great in the coop as well.

1 person likes this.
  7. LeRa37

Jul 15, 2013
    I don't have too many birds, but for the 5 days of driving rain we were unable to clean out the sand part of the enclosure. We cleaned the coop everyday, but it was too wet to do the sand. The smell is better today. Our coop is up off the ground on a raised stone patio with pavers. We are talking about adding an awning now to protect from days like that.

8. LeRa37

Jul 15, 2013
    thank you for that tip. This seems more affordable to me.....how do the chickens do with lime?

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: It's chemically the same as Oyster shell

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by