1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do about the heat??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ilovemyladies!, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    Any ideas on what to do for my chickens during this heat wave? [​IMG] It's so hot!!

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Our heat index has been 120 these past few days. I've never seen the weather so hot and muggy. Cool water in shallow tubs and pans, so they soak their feet or sit in the water helps. Frozen watermelon is very good. Electrolytes and vitamins in water help. A big fan in the coop or outside in the shade. Ice blocks or frozen jugs of ice. Although, they melt quickly. Plenty of shade. I actually brought mine inside and they've been living in my basement all week. They are really happy down there. I also wet down my run, so they lay in the muddy sand that's shaded. Good luck!

3. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    I keep their water icy cold(change it two or three times a day) give them lots of shady spots, Put some water in a low dish pan for them to walk through..freeze watermelon chunks(and other treats)

4. trudye

trudye New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    I installed a water misting system. Really helps in these extreme heated days and night. I run the misters from noon until about 6 or 7pm. That keeps the chicks cooler when the temps are the highest. Also, built a lean2 for extra shade and put excelsior material on it, then add more hay on top. The misters are overhead and the hay holds extra moisture for cooling.

5. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    We are hotter than normal here, heat index of 115. It has been miserable for all of us, human and animal. I give fresh cold water several times a day and overflow their water bowels (making mud for them), same for the ducks. Their swimming pool has been refreshed everyday during this heat when I normally only dump it every 3-4 days.

I also give them frozen watermelon and watermelon rinds. I have some frozen sweet corn that they get too. They REALLY love the watermelon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by