What to do about the Lone Ranger??? ((Silkie Q??)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Namaste Mama, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    :| I originally hard 3 silkies so they could be buddies and do slikie things together. Sadly I lost 2 of them and now I all I have is my lone ranger named honey. She has a little bantie friend with her in the brooder and I have 2 other banties that are in a different brooder that I had planned on them all eventually living together. My question is this would the silkie be happy with these other banties (will they play nice?? ) Or is it best to get another silkie and separate them??

2. Namaste Mama

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    Anyone?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am almost sad that no one answered you!! Yes, I think they will be fine. Chicken don't need the same breed to be happy, but they do need other chickens. I think yours will be fine.

4. Namaste Mama

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    [​IMG] Thanks for taking the time to answer debiraymond, I know as a neewbie I must ask what seems a million questions and some of them may seem bone headed to you all that are pros at this. I'm just trying to learn and make sure my chickies are healthy and happy. I love what I have heard about the silkies so much I am sure I will get more eventually, but for now at least I know Honey will be fine.

5. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

The only thing I could think of is that since silkies do not roost and like to cuddle in a corner with their friends, this could be a problem later on down the road.
    All of my chickens like to roost at night when they go to sleep and the silkies sleep together in the corner of the coop.
    If you have one lone silkie it will have no one to keep it warm at night.
    Its fine now in the brooder and they all cuddle there, but I am thinking later on down the line when they mature and start roosting.
    I would get a couple of more silkies for him/her if it were me.
    Good luck with them.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Oh my dear the dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked! Don't worry about posting. Sometimes things get lost in the traffic which is why I make it a point to look for 0 answer posts. I think everything will be ok - if your silkie decides to cuddle in the corner, get her a stuffed animals to cuddle with.

7. Namaste Mama

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    :/HMM good point Natalie. Although it dosen't terribly cold here we have been known to drop below freezing at night.

8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    She would definately be happiest with a silkie, although almost any breed would be ok.

9. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    I have found that after the intitial adjustment period, all the chickens pretty much get along with each other. It's true, they are happiest in a flock instead of singly, but it doesn't matter what kind. (not like humans) good luck.

10. Namaste Mama

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    Quote:Oh my dear the dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked! Don't worry about posting. Sometimes things get lost in the traffic which is why I make it a point to look for 0 answer posts. I think everything will be ok - if your silkie decides to cuddle in the corner, get her a stuffed animals to cuddle with.

Thanks again for the help and the kind words. I'm leaning towards at least trying to find one more silkie chick to give Honey a friend, now if I can figure out where to find one chick! LOL. The feed store won't special order more and I called Ideal today and I have to place a minimum order and well I don't need that many chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by