What to do about this eye???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sariea, Aug 22, 2016.

1. sariea

sariea Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2015
    Rochester, NY
    My buff orpington, Buffy, has had issues with her one eye for over a week. I posted last week about it and it's gotten worse. We tried VetRx, Duramycin, Terramycin, and then Tylan 50 for 5 days.

After the Tylan she was acting better, moving around on her own, eating and drinking on her own, but her eye is still very swollen. We have accepted that she will not be able to see out of that eye again. Yesterday it was mostly milky white and today it's ..pretty gross. She doesn't have bubbles in the corner of her eye, and the dark part in the far corner is kinda blugey.. i did see some kind of debris in her eye but she won't let me touch it.

Does anyone have any tips for flushing out a chickens eye?? She will let me hold her but is not very cooperative when it comes to the eye.
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    @casportpony

3. sariea

Aug 21, 2015
    Rochester, NY
    We are thinking it's a blood blister. It almost looks like it's under her third eyelid. We've used water to rinse it a couple times but it's definitely gotten bigger since yesterday.

Does ANYONE have any experience with this sort of thing?

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Is she still on antibiotic? She has crusties around her nose still too. So, probably some sort of upper respiratory infection. I am interested to see what other people recommend. I have a chicken with similar issues. She has taken 2 rounds of antibiotics, seems to be better, although I have her separated from the flock, but her eyes both look like your chicken's eye.

5. sariea

Aug 21, 2015
    Rochester, NY
    She's not still on antibiotics. I read you can only put them on it for 5 days and I'm not sure how long I have to wait for another round. It's really stressing me out that I can't seem to help her. She's only about 14 months old and is the best layer and friendliest of the flock... I really hope someone can help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by