What to do about twisted neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by InsaneBreeder, Sep 13, 2010.

1. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    I have a silkie who looks like his head has been put on the wrong way; sort of sideways. I first noticed it when the chick was a few days old, and over the past month it seems to have gotten better such that I can hardly see the tilt. So now he is a little over a month old and yesterday when I picked him up his head fell over sideways and he was rotating his neck and head as though trying to get it upright. He can still walk, eat, and drink but occasionally he will sit down and his head will fall over and he will rotate his neck, and he walks with his head tilted sideways. I have felt the neck, but I don't feel any abnormality. Is there anything I can do for him?

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Start him on Polyvisol immediately (the kind without the added extra iron). It's a liquid baby vitamin also sold by Gerber under some name like "Liquid baby vitamins". Give a few drops per day in his beak. For added measure you can cut the tip off a Vitamin E capsule, squeeze out the goop, and feed that to him as well. Do the Vitamin E for about a week. Do the Polyvisol for about two weeks. You can do a search for wry neck and find many threads including mine, about my twisted neck chick, Ruth, who is in my avatar and became a pet. In my experience, twisted neck/wry neck is a vitamin deficiency and is fixed right up with the vitamins. If you can't find Polyvisol you can crush up regular B vitamins and mix with a tiny amount of water.

3. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Quote:Thank you very much, I will try that immediately!

4. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have a silkie pullet doing this, thankyou for the tip Ruth!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by