what to do after college...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Jane Doe, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2013
    I am a senior in College... I will graduate very soon with an Intercultural Studies Degree. I want to get my MA, but i am unsure of what to get it in. I want to do something with Animals or Agriculture. people keep telling me not to get over qualified and not to be all over the place with my education (jumping from Intercultural studies into science)...

what do you think? What kind of MA degrees do they have involving Animals or Agriculture?

Sometimes I wish I had just gone for a bio degree and went to vet school... but I don't see how to fix this since i am getting an Arts degree. Another 8 years of school does not sound cool...

2. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I am no help. I am just starting college and so far it has been a debacle and I'm wondering if I should have even signed off to do it. My heart is working with my hands (farming and horses) and it is really hard to get into the college mindset.

Now I may be wrong, but to me, over-qualified is a term employers use when they don't want to pay people for what they're worth.

Hope someone can help you. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you want to pay brain surgeon prices for someone treating a cold ?
    That's what over qualified means.
    If I hire an engineer for a framing job then more then likely before I have trained him he could get an engineering job. So now I'm out all the training I did and have to start all over with someone else.
    That's why employers don't want to hire someone that's over qualified.
    I don't pay a framer engineer wages and I don't pay an engineer framing wages.

4. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

1 person likes this.
  5. Jane Doe

Aug 18, 2013
    I know what you mean about getting your head off your farm and into school. It is always very hard for me. I did one semester at home before i transferred because it was almost impossible for me to get any study time. Animals always seem to need something... but what i have found about sleeping away at college is it helped me to be free. I grew up taking care of animals, helping my mom care for my much younger brother and sister and aiding my grandparents (who have now passed). At college I am only responsible for me. Only have to worry about what i'm going to eat or when I'm going to study. It gave me back a piece of my childhood. I don't think college is right for everyone, but I do see its value. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  6. Jane Doe

Aug 18, 2013
    Thats cool thanks :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  7. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    It's hard to figure out what you're going to do with yourself. My husband finally found a niche he feels comfortable in, and he was all over the place. He'd rather work with his hands than be glued to a computer. So he's taking welding classes while working towards a degree in Industrial Management. He wants to then either go for Electrical Engineering, or free lance welding with the neighbor, who has his own business doing that kind of stuff. They've become great friends and pal around together talking business.

He started out with the military, not even thinking about college. Switched from CAV to Machinist. Dabbled in Carpentry. Did some Project Management for a spell. He talks to as many professionals as he can, what do they do, what do they like about it, what they would rather do. Anything they'll talk to him about basically. Helps him to gain focus and understanding over things he's never heard about before.

Sometimes we think we'd rather buy a couple of rental properties, scrap the whole career mindset, and move to the boonies. LOL But he's so good at speaking, and really good with networking, I think he'd be good in consulting if he ever became an actual expert in anything. He's become a Jack of All Trades at this point.

I'd have to say his passion is Horticulture though. That didn't come about until later, he had never thought about it before. The more we got into gardening, the more he got into the science of it. He exceeds my plant knowledge now, being able to tell soil deficencies by leaf spoilage and stuff.

The thing about college and that personal time is that it opens your eyes and mind to things you've never given thought to before. As you muddle through it, you can start to get an idea of where you want to go. It's ok to change your mind and keep seeking your niche, it's the only way to find a job you actually care for. If you hunker down and focus on just one thing, and keep at it, you will more than likely find success. But there are plenty of people who found success, but aren't gratified by it, and want something different. At some point in your life, you want to be happy. Explore until you find your happy place. Just remember the money has to come from somewhere, and there is a balance to be maintained, between working to live and living to work.

Find what will pay the bills, while exploring what will ultimately make you happy with your life. Hopefully both will come about, other times, the animals have to be the hobby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by