1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do after the hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ckn woman, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Ckn woman

Ckn woman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    I got a new incubator for Christmas and we have our eggs in it. They are scheduled to hatch tommorrow the 20th. I dont know what to do after they start hatching. This is our first try. Please Help!!!! LOl:/

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    First thing...don't open the bator until it appears the hatch is over. Disturbing the environment will only cause delays and complications. [​IMG] Prepare a warm brooder and have it set up and stabilized before the hatch is finished. It should be around 95F under the heat lamp for the first week and a bit cooler away from the lamp, so they can move away if they get too warm. Once the chicks are fluffy and dry, move them to their cozy brooder with fresh food/water. Best wishes for a successful hatch!

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    be sure when you put them in the brooder to dip the beak gently into the waterer so they can drink, and know where to find it.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I suggest you go to a hatchery website and see what they way to do for their chicks when they arrive. If you look toward the bottom of this link, you can see what Cackle says. It is in the interest of the hatcheries for their chicks to survive after we get them so they usually offer pretty good advice.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/page15.html#faq

You can also go to the Learning Center at the top of this forum and look in "Raising Chickens 101". Good info.

Good luck with the hatch. Exciting isn't it?

5. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Yeah, and you need to order more eggs....in a few days, it'll be time to set the next batch!!!

6. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Even if they don'y hatch right away, take heart! They may need an additional day or two to hatch, if the temp was a bit low, so just leave them alone a while. Some people have chickies hatching as late as day 24! Im givin' you good vibes! Go chickies!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Feed'em like crazy for a few months, then you will have fresh eggs from the hens and fried chicken from the roosters.

8. Ckn woman

Ckn woman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    What great advice. We got baby chicks back in the spring so these eggs are from our own flock. I am glad that they can hatch later. I hope it is a success, I havent seen anything going on unusual. Actually they havent moved and I don't hear any peeps, so we will see. All fingers and legs crossed! lol Thanks again for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by