What to do and how to clean feathers/skins?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Barbedwirecat, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    So I processed roosters for the first time today and I plucked 2, but after realizing I don't have the scald water a proper temp or really know what I'm doing with it (and running back and fourth to the house) I decided it would be easier to skin them. Well---I'm crafty by nature and have a few people wanting feathers from me.

What would be the best was to dry/prepare the skins? Inside/ outside? Do I tan them?

How should I prepare the loose feathers (some still have a little skin attached and have a little dirt/blood on them)?

Thanks in advance!

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    idk about the skins. But my friends kids like to collect feathers and take home. I soak them in dawn for about an hour, then boil water take it off the heat and put the feathers in then after the water cools i set them out to let them dry. I have no idea if its the right way but i figure if the feathers had mites or lice on them that'd kill it "hopefully" .

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  3. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Thanks JeepGuy! I'm looking to try and sell these as a whole for Fly tiers and craft persons. Any other suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by