What to do??? Broody or Incubator??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steffpeck, Apr 17, 2009.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I have 13 BBS Orp eggs from TuffOldHen in my bator on day 11 that have babies in them. I have had my standard cochin, Bluebell, sitting on 3 of my eggs since Monday, so she is definately broody, and is staying put. Do I move my 13 Orp eggs under her and let her hatch them, or do I leave them in the incubator to hatch??? I would really like to move them out to her and have her brood them, so I can get chicks out of my house sooner, but I worry about the more expensive, more delicate eggs with her also. I just don't know what to do. Someone please help me decide. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Cochins are usually good broodies. Is this her first time? That is pertinant to your decision as first timers sometimes need a little practice. If she`s proven herself, go for it. Personally, I wouldn`t hesitate as I much prefer hen hatching. Good luck.....Pop

3. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    13 sounds like a lot so if you move some maybe move fewer than 13? Also if you move them you should probably put them under her at night.
    If you move some, maybe move half to be under her and half stay in the incubator? Would certainly be interesting to compare the results. See what others say...
    Oh and I would not mix those ones with the ones she is already sitting on because then you would have different hatch times.

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    If they have the same hatch time, I'd go for it. I always prefer broody hatching to the incubator.

5. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    This is her first time. I think that I am just going to leave them in the incubator, since the eggs she is sitting on are about 6 days behind my orp eggs. I think I will just let her hatch out the ones she has, which are a mutt egg (If it's hers then it will be a cochin/ameraucana cross and 2 pure ameraucana eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by