What to do...Bvelders, Blk Copper Marans, and Gld Laced Wyndot-Help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rich1451, Jan 17, 2011.

1. rich1451

rich1451 New Egg

Jan 15, 2011
    I have Three BCMaran hens and a rooster, less than a year old, a breeding trio of Barnavelders (dutch variety) and two Gld Laced Wyndotte hens. I think my idea was to mix them to keep the chocolate colored egg and get the laced feathers. NOt being a genetic expert, I have discovered reading here that this is not possible or recommended. Sooo, I would like to know , since I live in town, with very limited space, what might be the best route. Give some away, sell the roosters, get rid of some of the hens...perhaps the wyndottes. I am a priest, so this is a hobby, but I think I am in over my head...and getting there fast with the poop factor. I would guess I have too many roosters? Just need some creative ideas.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would cull down to one roo and keep the hens so they don't get overmated. You will know by egg color which ones are not mixes if you want to hatch some. I don't know why you shouldn't let them interbreed, unless it has to do with appearance of the resulting mutts, which I know nothing about. Other than that, as far as I know, you actually may get better birds, as a result of hybrid vigor.

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Are you wanting to produce a gold laced wyandotte that lays a brk brown egg?

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by