What to do during a storm

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ravismomma, Oct 12, 2016.

1. ravismomma

ravismomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2016
    I'm not sure if this is an appropriate place to post so thanks in advance for direction.
    We in Washington have a severe storm/ high wimd warning over the weekend.
    I'm thinking if it gets super bad I would cage my girls in our emergency isolation cage and put them in the garage overnight. My question is, will this stress them more than help them? It's a small cage intended for one chicken if they are ill. I have 3 total. They will fit but won't have room to walk around. I'd only do it overnight and put them in the run in the AM. Any suggestions?

2. Nineplus5

Nineplus5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    Is there a problem with their coop?

As long as the coop is secured and stays dry they should be fine.

3. ravismomma

Sep 13, 2016
    @ninepluse5.... no. My husband built the coop and he feels extremely confident. We wrapped it and the run with plastic to keep it as dry as possible. I think everything's pretty sturdy. But the winds are supposed to be really really bad with gusts over 70. I'm probably overreacting... just not 100% sure. Other animals are so easy, they just come in with us. But the poor girls are stuck outside [​IMG]

4. Nineplus5

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    Then you should be fine. Be careful with the plastic though. You don't want to create a wind sail that gives the wind leverage.

You're near the sw coast or higher elevation?

5. Nineplus5

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    Three little beauty queens do okay?

Did the wind huff and puff?

6. ravismomma

Sep 13, 2016
    Nothing.... there was one big gust and lots of rain.
    We got dupped!!!

7. Nineplus5

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    Quote: Ya they sure hyped it up. They wrote the story as if we were actually getting hit by TS Songda. Bonehead sensationalists.

Had some gusts into the upper 30s here. No big deal.

Glad your girls are safe. Was worried that you were worried. Make sense? I'm sure your builder did a great job tho so...don't worry[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. ravismomma

Sep 13, 2016
    Thanks for your support!!
    I'm a little over protective of my chickens. [​IMG]

Glad it wasn't as bad as they said.... but I would love to charge them for the hundreds of dollars of supplies we ran out and bought!

9. Nineplus5

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    Quote:
    Me too. I have nine that are 2 1/2 yr old and 5 more that are 15 weeks. I love them all and marvel at the individual little quirks that make each one of them so special.

I free range the when I can had them out yesterday. So funny watching them when the stronger gusts blew in. They heard it first and then their necks would stretch to see better [​IMG] and then they would run as a group for cover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by