1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do during college????!!??!??!?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by grandparooster, Dec 20, 2010.

1. grandparooster

grandparooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Montague, Michigan
    Hi,

I am *age removed* I have had my chickens for about 1/2 year now. I am thinking ahead and I would some how like to have my chickens through college but not sure how to make this work. I will be hopefully going to a university and would be coming home once a month so traveling to take care of them from a far distance is not viable. Please share thoughts and ideas!!!

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I don't think it can be done. It's hard enough to go on vacation when you have chickens.

Mine live off my property, but only about 3 miles from here. I go out there AT LEAST once a day, but usually several times a day to get eggs and run a live trap and game camera, not to mention an early morning trip if their water is frozen solid.

3. lotsachicks

lotsachicks Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    S. Texas
    Do you possibly have a bribable younger sibling who could take on these duties, or possibly a local friend who isn't leaving for university who would be willing to help out?

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Plenty of time to get other members of the family on board by then. Good luck.

ETA - Enjoy them now! Every day is a gift!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  5. grandparooster

Jun 15, 2010
    Montague, Michigan
    my sister who is two years younger is a sports fanatic and wouldn't dream of touching one of those nasty, poopy, salmonala filled chickens. I had to beg for years to my mom before I could get chickens, she won't touch them either. All the freinds I have will be going to college as well [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Best of luck.

When I went to undergrad, I did a mass culling and only left 12 total. Had parents and brother feed them, and I'd come back every weekend to do clean up.

Now in grad school, I am down sized to 6 and come back every 2 months to clean.

If family won't do it, they may have to wait. Education is forever, chickens can always be had again.

7. grandparooster

Jun 15, 2010
    Montague, Michigan
    I am just so horribly addicted to my chickens, I wonder how long it would take for someone to find out I was hiding on in my dorm room? (j/k)

8. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    On the other hand, as soon as you know what school you will be attending, there is a possibility, however remote, that you can find a family with the space that already has chickens that will allow you to set a run and coop apart from theirs. Just a thought.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    All's I can suggest, and it is BEYOND a long-shot but not technically impossible I suppose at least for some folks, would be to a) pick a school in a town that allows backyard chickens, and then also b) be well-enough off that you can afford to share a house with some other students (as opposed to being in a dorm) in a situation where your co-renters AND your landlord were willing to let you keep a few chickens in the backyard.

Basically I think you are likely to have to get back into chickens *after* university. I know 4 years seems like a long time but it *does* eventually end [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe you could just settle on 2 seramas, they are tiny and could be hidden easier at a dorm, my friend has a bird cage for them (like for parrots). Who's to know they aren't some exotic parrrot? You could get them diapers and let them run around when you are out of class.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by