1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do during flooding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by busdriver9799, Dec 23, 2010.

1. busdriver9799

busdriver9799 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    We're currently being flooded out here. I have about 9 chickens whose coop and enclosure are almost under water. They have railroad ties in their yard area they can go on, but if they go on that there's no escape from the rain. Other than the railroad ties there is no dry ground for them. The basement is flooded so I can't put them there. We have our dog upstairs who would gladly kill the chickens if we bring them in. So here's the question, will it hurt them, make them sick for them to be out in the rain for another day and a half or so? All the roads are flooded so I can't take them anywhere else. Is there any health things I need to watch for? I'm worried but not much I can do for now. Thanks for any opinions

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    You have a big problem. No I would not leave my chickens out in flood waters. What if the water gets higher, and the birds drowned. Even if that doesn't happen how will they eat or drink. There is way to much nasty stuff in flood waters. It isn't like drinking ordinary dirty water. You need to find a better option than what you have, and plan away out for everyone and the animals if necessary.

i am so sorry that you are going through this terrible time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  3. busdriver9799

busdriver9799 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    I don't want you to think we're letting them starve we're not. My son wades back twice a day to feed them and give them fresh water. I think tomorrow we're going to bring them in, we can put a tarp down and close them in a room. Thanks, this stinks but water should be down by Friday or Saturday.

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am glad that you have a plan in place. I am still sorry that you are going through such difficulties. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by