1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do? Experience with electric? Help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bazoo1016, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Bazoo1016

Bazoo1016 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    Northeast
    Chickens went in the coop and run for the first time last night/this morning. They lasted 3 hours alone. Our jack russell ripped the hardware cloth and dug (we have it a foot or more down) and got in. Luckily we caught her herding them around. Do I need to do another layer? I've read over and over that hardware cloth is the best.. Anyone used an electric fence? Will this help? I really can not be out there watching her all day and night.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    An electric fence may be the way to go. Yes, it should work, if the shock is enough to deter the dog. That is one very determined dog. Since the dog was herding and did not kill the chickens, you may be able to train it to be around them, but it will take a lot of time and attention. I had a Jack Russel who was safe around free ranging chickens.

3. Bazoo1016

Bazoo1016 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    Northeast
    She'll kill them I have no doubt in my mind. She's dug more holes today..

Anyone else?

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    We own several dogs and we also keep rescued dogs at our place. We have had dogs dig and tunnel under gate doors and fences in the past. A great way to prevent this is to place stone pavers along the fence perimeter or at the gate entrance. I have done this to all our gate entrances. A 12" x 12" brick paver is cheap at about $1.10 each and easy to lay. This also knock down mud as well during the Winter months. Much more reliable than an electric wire. Our chicken coop and run is within an acre goat pen fenced with 4' high no-climb horse fence. The chickens free range in the goat pen. The dogs love to chase the chickens along the fence line but don't fence dig. We have had chickens fly over the fence and the dogs will chase and catch them (all have been unharmed thus far). They pretty much stay in the safety of the goat pen these days. Be a strong alpha with your Jack and make it clear you do not tollerate digging! Place a row of pavers outside the fence and I bet that he will not fence dig. It would also be ideal if you could fence off an area to keep your dog away from the run fence so the chickens are not stressed. Jacks are really high energy dogs and need alot of play activity!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by