What to do for ringworm on dogs stomach!

Chicken Egg 17

Songster
Dec 11, 2015
McVeytown PA
Ok well my dog just got this ring on her leg today and it's bright red, and it has a tiny little spot in he middle of he ring and it still looks like ringworm and I have seen pics of ringworm with the spot in the middle. So I don't have money to take her to the vet right now but if I have to that is something that will be done in the next day or two to go and get it done. So is there any home remedies I can put on it, I have this athletes foot cream my mom and sister got to use for there ringworm when they had it so would that work or shouldn't I give that to her? Here is a pic of the ring it's on her belly.

Ringworm is a fungus. I don't know that picture looks like ringworm? Usually not so red, raw looking, but more scabby, crusty, with short broken off hair. But, it could still be a fungus, just not ringworm.

I would carefully trim back hair around the spot. Wash, scrub, with some betadine and leave betadine on for five minutes. Rinse and dry. If you can get some 'blue lotion' from local feed store, paint that on once a day for a week.

You can catch ringworm, too, so wash hands and rinse with ten per cent bleach solution. Any bedding dog uses I would wash/replace. A bleach solution will kill ringworm.

In a pinch, you could just use q tip to soak spot with straight bleach daily. Also, athletes foot treatment otc will work, too.

Feral cat brought it in one year and every cat, dog, horse, goat and human ended up with it. Not fun to treat. What ever your dog has, you should see marked improvement I three or four days.

Thank you but my mom and sister has both had it before I know it wasn't that dark but I have seen a few google images of ringworm that looks darker than others. But I will try one of those and I will let you know how it works

That looks more like a hot spot, or an irritation from licking or a bug bite. Ringworm is raised and scaly with a gray color to it. My dogs get them occasionally. A little Neosporin or even a spritz of bluekote will help, make sure it dries before your dog moves and spray it outside.

That looks more like a hot spot, or an irritation from licking or a bug bite. Ringworm is raised and scaly with a gray color to it. My dogs get them occasionally. A little Neosporin or even a spritz of bluekote will help, make sure it dries before your dog moves and spray it outside.

well I have put the athletes foot cream on it twice today and it hasn't seemed to do anything yet and then my neighbors dog came over today so I had to break up a dog fight because there daughter is visiting from Florida and they brought her baby over to let us see him. and then my dog doesn't get along with there dog so she was nipping at him as soon as they brought him over. and yet they are still trying to play ball with them and then my dog was next to me and then the next thing I know there dog is attacking mine so I graded her by the tail to get her away from him because mine is a border collie aussie and there's is a big black lab. but she goes after him though to so she had him yelping. so the next time there dog comes over to our house maybe I should just call the dog catcher so maybe they will keep an eye on there dog then. they let him out to go play and pee a few times a day and they do there own thing and he sneaks off but I don't trust him with the chickens. so well see I guess but I am tired of there dog attacking mine that's the second time and if he hurts my dog they will be paying for the vet bill.
somad.gif

Last edited:
That is pretty typical of a black fly bite. Ring worm is fairly uncommon in dogs and doesn't usually present itself in a ring like it does in people. However, that's not to say it is impossible for it to be ringworm. If it is a black fly bite, it should go away on its own with time.

Last edited:
Ringworm is a fungus. I don't know that picture looks like ringworm? Usually not so red, raw looking, but more scabby, crusty, with short broken off hair. But, it could still be a fungus, just not ringworm.

I would carefully trim back hair around the spot. Wash, scrub, with some betadine and leave betadine on for five minutes. Rinse and dry. If you can get some 'blue lotion' from local feed store, paint that on once a day for a week.

You can catch ringworm, too, so wash hands and rinse with ten per cent bleach solution. Any bedding dog uses I would wash/replace. A bleach solution will kill ringworm.

In a pinch, you could just use q tip to soak spot with straight bleach daily. Also, athletes foot treatment otc will work, too.

Feral cat brought it in one year and every cat, dog, horse, goat and human ended up with it. Not fun to treat. What ever your dog has, you should see marked improvement I three or four days.

X2, everything she said. You can also dab on original Listerine several times a day.

That is pretty typical of a black fly bite. Ring worm is fairly uncommon in dogs and doesn't usually present itself in a ring like it does in people. However, that's not to say it is impossible for it to be ringworm. If it is a black fly bite, it should go away on its own with time.
I wouldn't say ringworm was uncommon in dogs. Years ago I attended a goat show. A large dog show had been held on the grounds shortly before. Soon after that show a lot of the goats started showing up with ringworm. So did several exhibitors, including me. One of my goats ended up at UC Davis Large Animal Veterinary Hospital for something totally unrelated to the ringworm but they tested it anyway. Davis told me it was a strain of ringworm usually found on dogs. That said, that lesion really doesn't look like ringworm.

I wouldn't say ringworm was uncommon in dogs.  Years ago I attended a goat show.  A large dog show had been held on the grounds shortly before.  Soon after that show a lot of the goats started showing up with ringworm.  So did several exhibitors, including me. One of my goats ended up at UC Davis Large Animal Veterinary Hospital for something totally unrelated to the ringworm but they tested it anyway.  Davis told me it was a strain of ringworm usually found on dogs. That said, that lesion really doesn't look like ringworm.

Dogs can get ringworm, but what people usually think is ringworm is more often something else (this is straight from the derm department, but I will check in with them today if you would like). It's far more common in cats and cats may not even show any lesions. I do believe there is a microsporum and a trichopyton species that dogs can get.

Back
Top Bottom