What to do/how to diagnose hen with an injured leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JasC, Nov 20, 2016.

1. JasC

JasC New Egg

Nov 20, 2016
    Ireland
    Hi,
    I am new to raising chickens. I only started 2 months ago having done a bit of research. I knew absolutely nothing about chickens before then...the last two months with my little flock of four has been a fantastic and enjoyable education...

I have found this site a great resource. There is some great knowledge and some real caring chicken people here...

In the last week a coupe of things have happened that prompted me to join here. My hens are now 22 and 24 weeks old and two (maybe 3!) are laying. One hurt her leg last week, cause unknown. She is hopping on one foot to move. She is eating and drinking fine and does not seem to be overly stressed. I kept her indoors the first couple days and I put her back in the run yesterday. She seems ok apart from still only using one foot. I tried to examine her for signs of illness e.g. Bumbelfoot. She had no outward signs of anything. Her injured leg does feel a lot looser around the hip joint. The only time she reacts (pain) is when I am holding the leg at the hip area. Can anyone suggest what may be wrong and what I can do to help her? I am conscious she cannot scratch or dust bathe as normal now and I don't like to think of her suffering in that sense (normal behaviours). Also, she is not flying/jumping. Prior to this she was the most interested in investigating her surroundings, jumping onto the garden table and onto the top of the run and coop when they would free range.

Second thing, a curiosity really that I have not seen addressed in all my searches. Why do my hens without fail empty the coop of all bedding almost daily? I have started (or tried to!) deep litter as I felt the extra layers of straw would help with warmth now that it is winter here. Again today it's almost emptied. They do this a couple of hours after I open the coop and after eggs are collected. Are they looking for their eggs? Eggs are mostly in the nest box but sometimes hidden in the coop. I'd love to know why they do this[​IMG]

Thanks for having me as a member inlook forward to learning and hopefullly sharing experiences.

James

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Possibly a sprain? ......Possibly broken?
    She possibly jumped down and injured herself....Keep an eye on it or take it for x-ray.....

They are digging for food..Scratching around....I use sand all year around in my Coop and my Run....

Cheers!

3. JasC

JasC New Egg

Nov 20, 2016
    Ireland
    Thanks

Yes I hope it is only a strain but it is 5 days now with no improvement. She is eating and drinking fine.

Sand is a good idea and I might do that. Is any grade or type of sand preferable?

Thanks again

James

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Washed sand...less dust as Chickens are dusty......

Cheers!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by