What to do? I don't have a perfect spot for the 'bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jmc, Aug 20, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    No place is ideal; either this room gets too much sun

or the cellar might work, but the temperature fluctuates too much, besides sometimes someone goes down there at night and TURNS THE LIGHT ON. That would not be good for the embryos right?................

That is my main problem. I have some rooms that could work pretty well; but with 18 people here, it is a little hard to ask people to NEVER turn the light on in such and such a room at night............for the NEXT 21 DAYS.

I can't stick the bator in a closet can i? there is no door on the closet, just a dark curtain;; but still there might not be enough air.

i can't be the only one with this issue.............

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Lights on and off won't hurt anything. Actually, a closet works great and I use to hatch in one too.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:The light won't bother them. I have mine in a closet, it works the best temps and humidity stay just right. To me its the best place. Plus when they start to hatch you can hear them while you sleep. 18 people OMGosh.
    Good luck Michele

4. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    oh wow! i am very grateful for your replies.

18 people, such is life in the monastery! [​IMG]

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I have two bators sitting on the bar that divides the kitchen from the dining room

6. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:aha! that is nice to hear; and it apparently works for you...............

thank you

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

thank you

yeah..mine are in a pretty busy area.. but that also insures that I check on them every so often.. I'm afraid if I put them in an "out of the way" place I would forget to check on them.. this way I see the bators constantly.. so they are a visual reminder that I need to check temps and humidity... also the amount of light or foot traffic in the area has never harmed any of my hatches.. i get 90 to 100% hatch rates on my bird's eggs.. a bit lower on shipped ones

8. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA

thank you

yeah..mine are in a pretty busy area.. but that also insures that I check on them every so often.. I'm afraid if I put them in an "out of the way" place I would forget to check on them.. this way I see the bators constantly.. so they are a visual reminder that I need to check temps and humidity... also the amount of light or foot traffic in the area has never harmed any of my hatches.. i get 90 to 100% hatch rates on my bird's eggs.. a bit lower on shipped ones

wow! this all sounds very neat. perhaps my 'ideal' spot has been a bit 'unrealistic'!

thank you for your very helpful info. my problem really seems solved. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by