What to do?? i need a quick answer!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by austinhart123, Apr 4, 2009.

1. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    okay so i put two goose eggs under a banty hoping both would be fertile and hatch.... well, only one is developing! it has been exactically 7 days tomorrow for the goose eggs. heres my question, should i give her some chicken eggs in addition to the one goose egg or just let her hatch one baby and hope shes sucsessfull?

any good info and expierience would be great

thanks,

2. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    go ahead ad put some chicken eggs under her. chicken eggs take 21 days to hatch and goose eggs take 28-34 if i am correct. maybe wait until tomorrow night to put the chicken eggs under her to make the hatch time for the goose and chickens as close together as possible. my aunt does the same thing with her broodies and other poultry eggs.

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I wouldn't give her chicken eggs unless they are due to hatch the same day. Otherwise, she is keeping up with one batch and not tending to the other (hence they'll die). At least, from my understanding anyway... I have never done it, so I lack the experience to be certain.

ETA: If she's not successful and still broody...give her more eggs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  4. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    yeah, see? count the days down and be sure they hatch on the same day give or take one.

5. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Just a suggestion as I have done this before with standard fowl. You need to place your hand under the hen at least twice a day and turn the egg yourself as she is probaly to small as has to weak of a neck to do it herself. Not sure she will cover the goose egg as well if you give her chicken eggs, as it will be more comfy and natural for her to set on the chicken eggs beside the goose egg.

6. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:well even though ive seen her move the goose egg into her nest when it rolled out once, i still turn the eggs twice a day.... if people have had sucsess hatching chicks and goslings at the same time i will do it, and yes they would hatch on the same day!

7. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Sounds like you're set to go! Please post pics of the babies when they hatch! [​IMG] We have plenty of oohhh's, awww's and how cute's to go around! [​IMG]

8. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    yep, it's all good and you're all set [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by