what to do if a baby chick is sick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by darkfox907, Dec 23, 2014.

1. darkfox907

darkfox907 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    CA norco
    I had three and two passed away in the night, theres one left, but I think he may be sick too, what do I do!!

there symtoms before they died where lethargic, not drinking , not moving and I can hear the stones in its gizzard crunching.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    So sorry! Without more information, here are some general comments. Chicks will get sick from the stress of travel, if they are from a hatchery and shipped. Many nasty diseases can be present in flocks and take out new babies. Then comes management issues; brooder temps, feeding, any other stresses. Depending on circumstances, having a PM done might be a good choice, especially if some contagious disease is involved. Mary

3. darkfox907

Mar 29, 2012
    CA norco
    I found the mom who had 13 babies and caught three while the rest got away with the mom. I put them in a brooder, gave medicated feed and water.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Was the temperature too high in the brooder?

Active chicks with mother suddenly becoming lethargic in brooder makes me think the temp is too high. Why don't you want the mother to brood the chicks? Just leave starter feed where they have access to it.

5. darkfox907

Mar 29, 2012
    CA norco
    the mother is semi wild and had 13 other babies with her. I thought I was helping,but I guess not...the last chick is very vocal but wont move much. Is there anything I can do?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Give it back to momma.

7. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    def put her back with the mother

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by