What to do, if anything?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dragonlair, Jun 18, 2010.

1. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I ordered 25 assorted full sized layer chicks from a hatchery. I got them yesterday morning. When I opened the box 2 were DOA, and more than half were cold and weak. I had their brooder nice and warm and fresh water and starter out for them. I checked each one over, dipped their beak tips in the water and then showed them food. Some did fine, others just laid down. The weak ones I gave a sugary solution to as an energy boost. It helped a few, but I still lost 2 more. I still have several that are weak, laying down all the time, not eating or drinking unless I help. I have been giving them a little bit of yogurt and egg yolk with sugar (YUCK!) to try to get their strength up. Anything else I can do? The brooder is nice and warm and the others are doing well, its just these few that seem very fragile.

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Keep coaxing them along and they might pull through. When they are so stressed it takes a few days to recover.

3. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Thanks, that's what i am trying to do. It's so sad, poor itty peeps, they look so sad just lying there.

What kind of chick is hatched with a poofy head knot and feathered feet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by