What to do if broody is off nest-2 eggs were still under & candled

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    one and there is movement of some sort i think? Broody is actually acting confused (idk if its bc 5 chicks is alot for her 1st time ) but she just got off and got them food/water and settled into new spot so i tried putting them under her there "just" in case?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    This is one reason it is usually recommended to confine a broody and her nest to a cage or small pen (though I usually don't.) Good chance they will still hatch, they can stay off the nest longer than you'd think and still get chicks. 5 should not be too many at all, even if she is small.

A great broody article: http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

3. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    thanks so much for posting that article...going to go read now...she's actually sitting on them still so *hopefully* god-willing they will hatch...she's right by food and water so the others have been coming out and eating on there own & drinking...maybe that's what she was worried about and hopefully she feels better knowing there eatin/drinkn now...i really appreciate it though!

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mama2B&D&...Chickens :

thanks so much for posting that article...going to go read now...she's actually sitting on them still so *hopefully* god-willing they will hatch...she's right by food and water so the others have been coming out and eating on there own & drinking...maybe that's what she was worried about and hopefully she feels better knowing there eatin/drinkn now...i really appreciate it though!

Wow, she's hatched some and still siting on eggs? You're lucky --- my mamas have abandoned the eggs after any hatched chicks are about a day or day and a half old.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by