What to do if it pips at the wrong end? Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jettgirl24, Jul 28, 2010.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I'm a newbie, this is my first hatch and it looks like my baby might have pipped at the wrong end... I can see it moving in there a little bit but don't hear peeping... Also, the membrane is punctured but looks dry even though my humidity is ok. How long do I leave it until I help? What do I do I have to help? I've read as much as I can on helping but just wondering if there is anything special if they're pipped at the wrong end.

Update: I did hear chirping... I've been reading about what other people have done... Sounds like some people waited 24 hours? I don't know how long to wait and see... Is there a risk of it drowning if it's upside down?

Here's a pic, I know it's not the best but it's all I could get through the window.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Ok I feel dumb... In my stressed out state I failed to see the other post about pipping on the wrong end that was right here on the front page... Whoops!

3. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I would suggest waiting...always best if they can get out on their own because the physical process of hatching is so important in the chicks development. A couple hatches ago was the first time I had one pip at the wrong end and not be able to get out on its own. I don`t believe in helping but because the pip was at the wrong end I helped by zipping around the egg after 24 hours. Glad I did....it was a very large and very healthy chick. After that I decided that maybe helping was okay...so helped one on our last hatch that was pipped properly but taking over 30 hours to hatch. What a mistake, it had no eyes and lots of other issues. DH had to euthanize the poor little guy.
    If you do help you may be very pleased you did...but be prepared to deal with the other possibility as well.
    Good luck with your hatch and keep us posted how things work out.

4. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I had one pip the wrong end yesterday. I noticed the pip at 6:50 am, I decided to let her be since there was a hole in the membrane and she was breathing. She hatched at 12:30am! Perfectly healthy!

Is your's out yet?

5. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Mine isn't out yet and when I checked at about 6AM she had made no progress. I was laying in bed just now worrying about having to help her so I got up to check and wouldn't ya know she has zipped!!!! I'm SO happy because I was dreading having to help out! I've got a total of 5 working on hatching now, three zips and two pips! I've got one who hadn't even pipped at 6AM and it's already zipping and making an absolute racket in there [​IMG] I couldn't bear to leave them to sit in an office all day today so I'm working from home... Hopefully I get to see one hatch!

This is so much fun!!! [​IMG]

6. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Glad to hear that your baby was able to get out [​IMG] Hatching is always so stressful!

7. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I know! I was super worried but baby is out... Along with 4 brothers or sisters... One more pipped and a couple others rockin and rollin! [​IMG]

8. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Yeah!!!! Glad to hear your little chick made it out on its own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by