What to do if the power goes out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cdeans, Dec 13, 2008.

1. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    This is just a idea for everyone. We use a battery backup for a computer on our bators, and brooders. When the power goes out they will kick on and power them for a few hours. You can get them from any electronics store or ebay. Just make sure you get one for a computer, not a ipod or phone, they will not work. I find this very helpful, you never know when the power will go out and these will keep your eggs and little chicks safe and warm.[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Corinne

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Great idea! Helps to keep from worrying if you are gone for several hours during a storm!!

3. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yeah i know its awesome knowing your babies are safe and warm!

4. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    Yep, I do the same thing. It a piece of mind.

5. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh how I wish I had seen this on Wed. or Thurs.... [​IMG] We've been without power for the past 3 days and I'm afraid all of my soon to be hatchlings are gone. My chicks that were in brooders are all okay so far. Anyone else ever have 7, 2 week old chicks in their shirt at the same time? [​IMG] I'll definitely be buying a couple of these batteries...where would I find them?

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:You can find them at most places that sell computers or EBay. Look for UPS - uninterruptible power supply. This will not last for several days though, as in your case. A 25 watt incubator may last quite a while. A brooder maybe several hours.

I made the suggestion the other day to buy a power inverter that will plug into the cigarette lighter of your car or clamp to your car battery. You can then run a 100' extension cord into the house. You would need to run the car as necessary to keep the battery charged. Basically you use the car as a generator...

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
  8. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Here in MN, the power going out in winter is a real problem every winter.

I have a battery backup for the computer, but it only gives a couple minutes of life - long enough for me to shut it down.

My solution to how to keep eggs warm would be a bit different than an expensive battery backup.

I have camping gear, including a propane stove and several 1lb bottles of propane. I also have a ton of 1q screw-on-lid disposable tupperware rated for hot or cold foods. If the power went out, I'd boil some water, put it in the tupperware, and put those in the 'bator.

I have a full 'bator right now, and we're entering the nasty part of the year, so I have all that stuff on standby. I also have blankets nearby to quickly pull over the 'bators to keep the heat in.

That Guy and I recently bought metal canister thermos things that get really warm when hot water is poured in them. He goes winter camping and has field tested them - put in a sock, under the covers, they stay warm all night with enough warm water left in the morning to make cocoa/tea with. Those would get way too hot for the 'bator but they'll do just fine for /me/. [​IMG]

I also have several battery lanterns around the house, a propane tent heater, and a winter preparedness kit in the car that would put most survivalists to shame. I am a total freeze baby. I don't go winter camping and like heck would I be willing to "winter camp" in my own home.

-Spooky

9. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That's just what it was...winter camping in the house! We've spoken several times about having to be more prepared for situations like these...we thought we were doing pretty good! Until it happened... We also have the camping gear (Propane stove, lantern etc) and that's how we were able to cook. I wish I had thought about the hot water jars for the bators....

My in-laws bought us a large generator today as a Christmas/everything else for a long time kind of present. It's large enough to run our furnace and a few other things should the need arise....one of those other things will be my bators next time!

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you are in an area where the power goes out frequently.

Buy a generator and keep fuel on hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by