1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do in a power outage

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Snozzle, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I just got a good scare a few minutes ago. It has been very cold these last couple nights and usually we have a pretty stable power grit here, but suddenly my power went off for a couple of minutes. I have 3 older chicks in one brooder and 5 that just hatched a few days ago. They are in the garage to keep wind off them, but it is still cold enough in there that the water of the older guys got slushy on the end without a heat lamp. The older ones should be ok without power for a while, but the little ones I worry about. I was going to bring them inside first, but we are still working on this place so it's not insulated that well and it would get cold in here fast too. If it came down to it I would stick them in my shirt, I have done that with a snake(in a pillow case) I used to have and he survived a week long outage, but chicks are a lot messier and I really can not go to work covered in chicken poop. Any tips or tricks of how to keep babies warm without power?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you have some energy source other than electricity (gas, wood) you can boil water and put bottles of hot water in a smaller box. Or pack them like in a shipping container and they can keep each other warm for a while.

3. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I don't have one. I want to eventually get solar panels, but right now we don't even have finished walls or floors

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    In an emergency you can boil water on a campfire.
    Solar is good for light and things like pumping water but is a poor choice for heating anything.
    Electric for heat is a big energy hog.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    We have a generator, which is a good investment for us who love baby birds, so I don't really worry about power outages anymore. Those hand warmers you can get at the camping store work great in a pinch. I've also stuffed babies in my pockets in an emergency, with a washcloth or paper towel so they don't do there business in there. We also have a cast iron woodstove now (which I SCORED off Craigslist for $100) I can boil water on it for hot water bottles, or just get it cranking nice and hot and put them in a box close to it.

6. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    The water boiling is a good idea, only we have well water, so no power means no water and rain barrels will be frozen solid. A generator is a good idea, I'll have to check into that, I also saw on old kerosine heater in the garage, I may have to check that thing out without burning the place down.
    Oh yeah I didn't think about those hot packs, I used those when I was still working outside in the winters, those work wonderfully. I'll go stock up on those suckers next time I go shopping.
    Thanks everyone, hopefully spring will be here before I need any of that :)

7. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    You can always use a Kerosene Lamp or Lantern Just make sure they can not knock it over.Back in 1814 when I was a KID thats what we used in out BROODERS...cva34

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by