What to do in mating season

Tab_west

Hatching
Dec 31, 2020
I have 2 male pekin ducks and 1 female, I've heard that the 2 can injure her, so what will i have to do come spring?

I tried to keep two males with four females. Every winter everyone got along. But, in early spring, the boys would start fighting until one emerged as the dominant drake. So, besides the issues with your female duck, you are risking injury to your boys if you wait to solve the problem. Adding a couple more hens, but trying to keep two drakes, won’t necessarily solve the problem either. It did not in my experience. Keeping them separated during “mating season” means from March through September. I did do that but it was difficult and made for some pitiful drakes. I suggest you get a couple more girls and re-home one of your drakes.

get one more female. seperate them into two pens so they can’t touch each other. girls in one pen boys in another. after mating season they can go back together

I tried to keep two males with four females. Every winter everyone got along. But, in early spring, the boys would start fighting until one emerged as the dominant drake. So, besides the issues with your female duck, you are risking injury to your boys if you wait to solve the problem. Adding a couple more hens, but trying to keep two drakes, won’t necessarily solve the problem either. It did not in my experience. Keeping them separated during “mating season” means from March through September. I did do that but it was difficult and made for some pitiful drakes. I suggest you get a couple more girls and re-home one of your drakes.
try keeping the two drakes together and then the two hens together. of course the drake would be mad if they were alone, ducks need other ducks

try keeping the two drakes together and then the two hens together. of course the drake would be mad if they were alone, ducks need other ducks
Sure, if you have lots of room and resources and want your ducks penned. I kept my two drakes together and they would spend the majority of their time trying to get back to the girls. The more dominant drake would also constantly mount the other drake. I don’t think he was very happy. Your solutions are fine if a person cannot stand to part with one of their ducks. There are other solutions though, which may be better for all in the long run. Quality of life matters too.

Back
Top Bottom