What to do now? Silkie chicks

ninena102

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 3, 2014
I received a batch of Silkie chicks. They were to be between the ages of 5 to 7 days old. When they arrived, they already had their wing feathers. One even looked to be 3 weeks old. I had one DOA when I received the overnight shipment. They came out of the box very hungry and thirsty even though they had some kind of food mixture in their box that was half eaten. I was feeding them 20% protein medicated feed.

I lost a chick suddenly within two days I began to watch the others very closely. The next day, I saw one standing by itself. I tried to hand feed it some boiled egg, I also noticed its poo was very loose and runny. I was trying to figure out if it had coccidiosis. The next day it acted the same way. I researched on this site about how much Corid to give the chicks. They were very little Silkie chicks so I decided to medicate with 1 teaspoon in 1 gallon of water.

Now it is day 5....I have not lost any more chicks.....however, I do not know what to do from here. All the chicks are running around, eating and drinking fine....Some of their poo is still runny...others are hardening up with liquid soaking into the paper towel. I do have pics of their poo but I do not know how to attach to this.

How long should I continue to medicate?

Once I stop medicating with Corid, do I put them back on Medicated feed?

I do not want to lose anymore chicks.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts....

Thanks so much

Yes, that is what I thought as well; however, should I be worried about their poo still not being the right color?

I afraid they might still have coccidiosis and will start getting weak and die....Gee, motherhood is tough !!

Thanks for your comment....

Course of treatment is 5 to 7 days, be sure to make it up fresh every day so it doesn't loose strength. They can keep eating their medicated feed while on Corid as well, no need to take them off it.

Gee, I read that I should take them off the medicated feed while using Corid....I don't guess it would hurt them to get back on medicated feed and continue treatment for another 2 days....

I read as well, to give them probiotics for 5 days once I stop the treatment.....

I was just worried about their poo still......some of their poo looks like a soft clump with (looks like liquid around it)...and other poo is runny still. And other poo looks like its trying to firm up......

Medicated feed contains Amprolium, the same active ingredient in Corid. Medicated feed has very low levels of Amprolium, so low that chicks can and often do still come down with a case of coccidiosis. SInce it's the same medication and since the margin of safety, as well as dosing with amprolium, is very wide it's not worth bothering to change the feed during treatment.

It's fine to give probiotic's after treatment, certainly never hurts, although Amprolium does not kill off gut bacteria like antibiotic's do. It works by starving the cocci protozoa.

You can also increase the strength of the Corid mixture you are giving, mix it at 1.5 or 2 teaspoons per gallon instead of one. Better to mix it a little stronger then too weak.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your explaination. I put them back on medicated feed along with the corid treatment. When I checked them later in the evening, their poo was looking very close to normal, except for 2 places that showed some liquid, but way better than previously.
Should I go ahead and increase dosage for the two days of remaining treatment...which would mark the 7th day? Would you suggest, in two weeks, to give them an additional 3 day treatment with corid? Once again, thank you for the input.

All of my 10 chicks have lived!! Thanks to all who supported me through this. They are all doing well....

Back
Top Bottom