what to do on day 18 (eggs lay flat or in cartons?) *Eggtopsy* *Graphic*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Seeleyhomestead, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Seeleyhomestead

Seeleyhomestead Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    I have been researching the way people have been finishing there clutch on day 18. My eggs started out in a turner and I am three days from day 18 and so far they are doing really well with a large hatch rate. How ever I have seen allot of people post about laying eggs that have been in a turner flat down and chicks piping at wrong end of the egg. Then I seen a small few that have cut holes in the bottom of cartons and place the eggs in the same way they were in the turner. (flat end up were the air sack is) and had very good hatches . I would just like to know your intake on the Carton method v's the flat down method with eggs that were in a turner.
    Thank you in advance for your thoughts[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Either way is fine. I lay my down with the lowest point of the air cell facing up (as that is where they generally "should" pip). In my mind it's the more natural position, and it is easier to see if they pip at the wrong end. (On the flip side of that if they pip on the underside, you don't know until the zip...lol or see pieces of shell on the screen.) Lots of people prefer the eggs in the carton, and have equally good success. It's a little harder to catch a malepositioned pip, but you can see around the egg better. Some people feel clean up is easier with hatchhing in cartons. I use rubber shelf liner over my screen and my eggs are laying on that (only a dollar at the dollar store) and just throw that out after hatch, so I feel clean up isn't an issue with me.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree, either way is fine. As far as I have been able to determine, the commercial operations that may hatch 1,000,000 chicks a week lay them flat. The instructions that came with my incubator said to lay them flat. I lay mine flat. But some people feel that hatching in a carton is superior for their own reasons. That is the way they do it and they do fine too.

You’ll find with chickens that we do things a whole lot of different ways because a whole lot of different things work.

2 people like this.
  4. Seeleyhomestead

Feb 15, 2015
    You make many good points do you start your eggs in a Turner? What is you hatch ratio? I have also purchased rubber shelf liners because I'm still undecided on with rout to take. I want the best hatch rate possible. So hopefully I will get allot of great ideas like shown in your post of cores I will let every one know witch one I have chosen to go with and have pic's and details on my hatch. I started out with 42 eggs 16 were not fertile and only hat Quitters.
    Thank you for you input AmyLynn2374[​IMG]

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I had 13/16 last hatch. I started with 32 but 14 were clears. I had one blood ring and one that quite early on day 5ish I believe it was. So I had 16 viable moving chicks go into lockdown with 13 hatching out. I had one malepositioned chick that I assisted and she is now a healthy vital 4 month pullet.

I did dry incubation days 1-17. And 75% humidity during lockdown through hatch. Have a forced air little giant bator and the automoatic egg turner. (I am also a candling addict and I monitor my air cells to be sure of proper humidity.)

6. Seeleyhomestead

Feb 15, 2015
    Wow that's Great [​IMG]. I like your #s I'm Also a candle Junkie...LOL I just Have to know whats going on in there[​IMG]. its getting a little harder nowadays but the prospects look good Im keeping my fingers crossed and trying not to count my chickens before they hatch.[​IMG]

7. Ridgerunner

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I use a turner.

I’ve had 100% hatch rate with shipped turkey eggs. I’ve had a 33% hatch rate with eggs I mishandled, shook them up too much getting them home on a very bumpy dirt road. I should have cushioned them much better.

I count on at least a 70% hatch rate using my own eggs. I’ve had some much better but not really any worse. Each hatch is unique though. The hatch rate I’m talking about is the number of eggs in the incubator versus the number of chicks out.

Some people like to consider the hatch rate only using the eggs that started to develop. That is a better test of tier incubation skills. In general, if an egg does not develop or dies in the first week, it is because of something that happened before the egg went into the incubator. That could be fertility, mishandling the eggs like the ones I shook up, the eggs stored too long or stored at improper temperatures, health or disease of the parent flock, things like that. If the egg stops development in the last week of incubation that is generally caused by something in the actual incubation, like improper turning or humidity or temperature issues. Of course there are exceptions to this, but it is a reasonable rule of thumb.

I open the eggs that don’t hatch to try to determine what happened. It’s not always easy to tell, but I can at least see if they started to develop and at what age they died to maybe help me. Normally I do pretty well with the eggs that start to develop but have a few more non-starters than I’d like. But since they are my usually own eggs I just set a few more to start with to get the number of chicks I want.

I can’t give you one number for a hatch rate. Each hatch really is unique for me.

Edited to add:

On my last hatch I set 28 eggs. 3 were clears and two developed, which gave me 23 out of 28 eggs set.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    100% on shipped is awesome. I don't count clears in a hatch rate because I don't feel it's an accurate portrayal of how the hatcher's methods affect the outcome if you count something that chances are were never fertile or failures to launch.
    My first hatch I never did eggtopsies and I regreted it. I threw the eggs into the woods. Then I started wondering, what if any of them were still alive? What if they still had a chance (doubtful it was day 25, but you never know.) On top of that I lost the opportunity to learn from the little deaths. (I already knew it was because of the bad thermometer and a 6 degree low incubation, but I could have gained knowledge just the same.) Now I make sure I eggtopsy and I always recommend it because you can learn from it, and there is no questions as to life status.

9. Seeleyhomestead

Feb 15, 2015
    I agree a !00% on shipped eggs is amazing [​IMG]

10. Ridgerunner

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I also had a 25% rate on shipped eggs once. That shows how meaningless the rate from one hatch is. You learn from each one and try to improve or repeat, but each hatch truly is unique. It’s the average over several that finally starts to mean something but I don’t keep that kind or records.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by