What to do? OR I am not good with people.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by skirbo, Jan 15, 2009.

1. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    Okay, I'm in a bit of a quandry and granted it's mostly because I care too much about what people I like think of me.

I have many, many pets. Too many, long story. I also have two horses. The equine veterinarian that I like the best comes to the farm I board at and also has recently opened a small animal clinic about 30 minutes from me with good prices and convenient office hours which is unheard of in this area.

The problem (and I guess it's only a problem for me) is that the guy doesn't like me, as a person doesn't like me. I've tried and tried to be nice and he's never rude or anything like that, but I just know he doesn't. The woman that owns the farm I board at gets her calls returned, gets her questions answered, gets joked around with and that kind of thing. I don't.

So... I don't know what to do. Would you continue giving him your business? I don't have another equine vet that I would want to use if given a choice and there is always a buffer person at the barn. But I'm struggling over whether to give him my small animal business or not. It would save me some money, but is it worth the lack of ... I don't know, warmth(???) that I'm used to in my veterinary relationships? I hate seeing a look on someone's face that says "oh crap it's her again", especially when I have to see that person over and over again.

So, it's not that big a deal, really and I realize I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. But I have enough animals that I'm often at the vet's office once a month for staggered routine stuff. Is saving money worth a self-esteem mini-crisis every time?

Thoughts, besides getting myself into therapy or something of that nature?

Sarah

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Ignore them. That's what I do.

Or, I make faces at them when they turn away from me. Then act like nothing happened when they turn back around.

May not accomplish anything, but it sure is fun...

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Sorry I can't really help you because I would just ask the vet what the problem is. I'm just that way. Your paying him/her to be kind and curteous to your pets and you as their owner and if he/she had a problem with me I'd wanna know why and get it settled.

Good Luck on your decision [​IMG]

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Does the vet treat you professionally and do a great job?

The prickly vet who will show up at 2 a.m. for a colicking horse is priceless.

The nice vet who won't is not.

I would go by merit rather than personality.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would talk to the guy, approach him and tell him how much you appreciate his services and his kindness and how much you look forward to seeing him again. How much your animals love him. It's hard to be rude to someone who is worshipping the groun you walk on. Kill him with kindness and eventually it will come back to you.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    As long as you feel he is treating your animals good, I don't think you should worry about if he likes you. You said your not good with people, so maybe he just doesn't get you.

7. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    I wouldn't worry about if he was like this with everybody. He's not. It's just me.

And in my experience with asking people why they don't like me or what the problem is I don't get an honest answer and nothing gets resolved. It just gets worse, with the added element that the first person spreads it around and now as an added bonus everyone thinks it's funny.

Sarah

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Seriously, if the guy is an @$$ don't reward him with your business. Jerks don't deserve a place in society.

(I'm not a jerk, I just play one on BYC)

9. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    If he treats your animals well, and for an affordable price, you're a lot better off than most. That's what you pay him for, not company [​IMG] If he's downright rude or mean, that's another matter.

A 'Why don't you like me?' conversation will not achieve anything other than making for a completely uncomfortable atmosphere every time you see him.

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    "Hi, I was wondering if I was imagining things but it seems everytime I call you you don't return my calls, you see me, you make faces, and I don't understand why? Have I done something to offend you you and would you be more comfortable if I took my business somewhere else?"
    Some vets are just like human doctors, they have no emotional investment in anything but the patient themselves. They don't care about family members and the vets don't interact with owners, they focus on the animal. I had one vet warn another vet about me and he was very distant to and I said exactly what I wrote about to him and when he said it might be better if I went somewhere else I said that isn't a problem but I'll need to know why when I talk to the State Vet board about your behavior. He told me the other vet and said I was pain in the neck, griped about everything, and would threaten to sue at the drop of a hat. As soon as he said that I knew which vet and I explained the situation to this one, the mistreatment of my dog which resulted in several thousand dollars of bills and a dead dog. He changed his attitude but I still changed vets, I didn't trust this one after that, he was too easily influenced by others and gave too much credence to gossip. It ended up with him stopping by to ask why I changed vets, and I told him very honestly why. I also did report the other vet for impugning my reputation.
    Oh, and the other vet was Scientologist who gave his patient list to them!! Addresses phone numbers and all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by