what to do..raw bloody tail on 2 wk old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OHhappychicks, May 18, 2010.

1. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Just came home from work and found 1 of the 2week old chicks with a raw bloody tail. Most of his tail feathers are gone. Should I put something on it or just leave it to heal? I don't want infection to set in. I brought him in, but he is by himself and is chirping alot. Should I keep him isolated? I don't want the others to attack him. They are in a temporary hoop house, in a self contained pen, but I have 5, 7-8 wk old bantams in there running around. I'm thinking maybe 1 of them got ahold of him thru the 1/2 in. hardware clothe. Anyway, what should I do for him. Just went to check on him and he wasn't there! [​IMG] I could here him, so I followed the sound, and there he was, under my kitchen table! [​IMG] that's quite a feat, considering where he was! He is now snuggled in my hand against my chest, sound asleep! [​IMG] 1

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. wateboe

wateboe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Lebanon, Ohio
    I have applied Blu-Kote in situations like this. It is an antiseptic, but more importantly it "paints" the injured area very dark blue, hiding the damage from the other birds. It has worked well for me in the past.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yes, definitely keep this little one separated until it's healed. I find antibiotic ointment (NO pain killers) works best.

4. Friend of Feathers

Friend of Feathers Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    East Central, MO
    I swear chickens are part piranha, once they see the blood they turn vicious. I have found Blu Kote and triple antibiotic ointment to both work wonders.

5. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Thanks to all of you![​IMG]

6. pseudoyams

pseudoyams Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    Where do you get Blu Kote from?

7. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I know you can buy blu-kote from many of the hatcheries. I got mine locally at a feed store and it was much cheaper. I bought it before the chicks even arrived, on a whim, really. I was sure glad I had it when one of our tiny chicks had a spot of blood. The other chicks went crazy chasing him! [​IMG] A little blu-kote, and everyone left him alone. I hope it is okay to use on baby chicks. It seems to have saved ours, - he is growing big and thriving now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by