What to do?!?! Rooster tried to fight my rooster!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by choptank330, Feb 17, 2013.

1. choptank330

choptank330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Hello.. this morning when I went to go feed my chickens I went up there to my rooster having a bloody chest/face/comb. My neighbors have a game rooster that doesn't stay locked up and he came over this morning and tried to attack my rooster through the fence. Naturally my rooster is going to try and fight back. Well I need to know what to do. I brought him in the house put him in the sink and sprayed him off and washed him off the best I could to get all the blood off. Then I sprayed some iodine on his toe that got cut really bad. And I put neosporin on his comb and wattles. Anything else I should do ?

2. choptank330

Jul 31, 2012
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I'll try and upload a pic later

3. choptank330

Jul 31, 2012
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Anyone wanna help me??

4. da417

da417 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    The first thing you can do is ask the neighbor to keep their rooster away. If that doesn't work then reinforce your pen, if you can, with wire so they cant get their heads through it to fight. Its extra work for you unless you want to run the risk of your roo being seriously injured....or else warn the neighbors if they dont pen their roo it will be sunday dinner.

5. da417

da417 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    As far as treatment, it sounds as though youve done the best you could.

6. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    So sorry about your rooster. It sounds like you have done the best you could to care for his wounds. Are there any open wounds, or are they just cuts and scratches? If you put your rooster back in the pen with the other hens, keep a close eye on him. Chickens are attracted to the smell of blood, and they may try and pick at your roosters comb and wattles, which will cause them to bleed more and they won't heal.

7. choptank330

Jul 31, 2012
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Thank you all ! The only open wound that I saw was in one of his toes. The top layer of skin got scratched off pretty good. So I tried to get all the blood off that and put the iodine in there. I did put him back in the pen with my hens but they didn't seem to be bothering him. I stayed out there for about another hour and made sure he was eating and drinking.

As far as the neighbor's they don't care as they dont take good care of their chickens as it is. So if he comes over again and causes this my husband will be waiting with his .22... I was thinking about putting hardware cloth over my current fencing about a couple feet up. I'll post a pic in about 30 min.

8. MsChickenMomma

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    That sounds like a good idea with the fence. I agree that you should just take care of the rooster if he comes back. You don't want your chickens to get hurt, so it's really for the best.

9. choptank330

Jul 31, 2012
    Roanoke, Virginia
    [​IMG]

10. MsChickenMomma

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    oh poor boy! Are his feathers still caked in blood? Or is that just staining?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by