what to do-what to do..hmm

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FLITZ, Feb 14, 2012.

1. FLITZ

FLITZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Okay.. my situation

I have two little giants still air

I have three glass thermometers for aquariums exactly like on chookschicks cheat sheet..and two that are wired probe for terrariums.
    sitting in a room all lined up where no drafts could get to them they all read the same. In a glass of ice water the probed ones read 32.5. . they also match another thermometer in the same room that i'm not going to use

split them up two glass one probed in one LG .. and one glass and one probe in another LG.

they read the same in both LGs. they stay a steady solid...well...the glass ones read 102 perhaps just a tiny bit under but its hard to tell. sooo close to the 102 mark that it could be on it. just not above it

****here is the pain..the two probes read 99.1 to 99.5 the temp is the same in both incubators..they are all at the same level i made sure of it. Do I turn it down and risk the wired probe thermometers to drop below 99 to get the 102s down to 101

or do i keep it like it is and risk the 102 glass thermometers to be correct and kill my eggs when they go in

keep in mind. right now.. Two Little giant Still air. one has a turner.. set up side by side in a small closet.. been on for a few days at least. Empty other than the way I have them off the floor. I used a Large store bought egg and have the thermometers where the upper center of the egg would be.

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I always say, better a bit lower than warmer! Plus, if you have the turners..that puts the eggs right up close to those elements. So less temp in that one for sure..my thoughts..been there done that with a turner in a still air..my eggs did get warmer!

3. FLITZ

Feb 9, 2012
    Okay so I tried to nudge down the thermostat in the one with the turner just a tiny bit. So little in fact I'm not sure if it moved at all. LOL..
    Im going to wait a couple hours and see if it drops a tiny bit...my luck it will drop down to 85 and I'll have to start all over lol...

In the other I moved the probe to the exact spot as the glass ones. made the probe almost touch the glass to be certain that they are in the same spot and height. three days and my eggs should be here trying to get this correct

4. FLITZ

Feb 9, 2012
    should I put a bottle of water in it or something and check the temp of the water with a medical thermometer..or will that just be another temp reading something else to confuse me even more

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I personally wouldn't..and yes, tweaking those still airs just a bit can make a difference, so just watch for now. And keep tweaking it a tiny bit at a time. I would say wait for an hr. and check it again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by