WHAT TO DO?? WHAT TO DO?? newbie question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by doublejfarm, Jun 24, 2011.

1. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    Here's the deal.... I have seven hen and one roo. Sunday will be two weeks of them all being on duramicin 10 in their water. This was done as suggested by you all for terrible hacking and wheezing. My hens are much better ( tough some still open their beaks to breathe ... panting possibly???) My roo though is acting unaffected by the meds. WHAT TO DO?? continue with another week? Or individual treatment for him ( tylan or something else injectable). Please help me y'all. We love our roo, he is like part of the family.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I wouldn't continue using the duramycin. If it's CRD then here is what I read are reccommended, Baytril from Vet, Gallimycin powder or tab. LS 50, I purchased Baytril on line might be able to get the others at feed store. also heres a link that is interesting. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=318619

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Duramycin 10 is only supposed to be used for 7 days. If your temperatures are hot like it is here, yes they will open their mouths to breathe. Besides tylan, I recommend you look into denegard. It is for swine but can be used for chickens. I've read alot of good things about it; little withdrawal and no resistance. There is a preventative dose and treatment dose. I suggest you type "denegard" in the BYC search box and read about it. Eventually tylan wont work later down the road whereas denegard will.

4. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    Yeah im thinking the panting is from the high 90s heat. I will look in to the other meds. BTW the duramicin package said two weeks for CRD. I dunno just following their instructions.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I stand corrected, you are correct...2 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by