What to do ... what to do ... now I have 2 Brinsea Oct 20 incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by criker99, Sep 25, 2010.

1. criker99

criker99 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Washington State
    AND a battery brooder with 2 grow outs (taller) that are all heated. I am so spoiled by my husband! Anyway, I really do need some advice on how to handle this. We've had 90-100% hatch with our first brinsea oct 20 (holds about 24 hen eggs) which we bought used off of craigslist about a year ago. Then, I'd always wanted a battery brooder and we found one off of craigs list that holds 50 day olds-two weeks in the top, and then the bottom two sections are also heated and have an expander piece so they are taller and will hold 25 birds each until they are about 8 weeks. And now I bought a second used Brinsea 20 off of another site.

So ... should I use one as a hatcher and one has an incubator or should I just fill, incubate and hatch in each? How can I stage this best? We want to hatch and raise black copper marans and now my daughter has decided she wants some silkies to show.

Excited ... excited! I'm interested in your opinions on how to stage this out for nearly continuous raising.
    (Edited for spelling)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    you should close your eyes, take a deep breath, and send one of those babies to me!!!!!

depends on how many of each you want, if you got enough to fill them, do it. If one of them doesn't have an autoturner i would use it as a hatcher.

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    No....Nope nada.... I need to inspect one of them.... Pm me for my address..... lol [​IMG]

4. criker99

Oct 20, 2008
    Washington State
    Well ... thanks for the offers to help me "out" of my incubators, but I think I'll just have to put them to use first. I wonder, when we've raised a batch of silkies, will I have no more use for the incubators?

HAhaha.

Anyway, we have regular old laying flock now ... mostly barred rock, with a few easter eggers and white leghorn and such for variety. We've reorganized to prepare for more birds so now we have a nursery building (just a shed) with the brooder in it, and 2 extra pens/small hen houses (about 6x10) for the new flocks to grow into ... and since this is my daughter's ag project, she sells eggs and wants to sell chicks.

I'm thinking .... incubate in one ... at day 18 move tray to hatcher and start new batch in incubator. Then by the time the 2nd batch is done hatching the peeps can be moved to the grow out portions. Hopefully she sells enough of them (half) to clear out a grow out for the second batch.

I think I'm going to have to teach her how to use project management software so she can flowchart how this will work just like a factory... My mind is not wrapping around how this will work.

5. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    Quote:Wow that sounds like a good idea.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

There are separate hatcher units? OBVIOUSLY I was not paying attention on the Brinsea web-site when I was returning to buy yet another Mini Advance... or when I *deep breath* ordered the Octagon 20 Advance w/ Humidity Pump. (Hey, it was on sale!)

It's here now, and I've been perusing the instructions. Quite a bit more advanced than the little Mini Advance 'bators.
    [​IMG]

I really need to get this figured out so I can set some eggs....

Now, so I am not hijacking the OP's thread, I think you should ..... go through the software and figure out which choice would be more efficient. I'm all for efficiency.

Would someone send me a bucketful of efficiency, please? I'm plumb out.

7. criker99

Oct 20, 2008
    Washington State
    well you ordered what I would have loved to have bought but was too cheap! But I would't be able to decide whether I should use that for the hatcher or the incubator! LOL. But what I am doing is just using 2 incubators (the cheaper ones) and using one as a hatcher and one as an incubator. Actually, I would LOVE to have the King Suro ... but I am really too cheap for that! I think you will find once you have the OCT 20 advance hooked up you will love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by