What to do when getting new pigeons.

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by FriendlyFlyer, Nov 8, 2011.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Next spring I will be getting pigeons at a swap meet. Birds there are tested for diseases but to be sure I want to quarentine my new pigeons before I put them in the coop with the other birds (just chickens and I assure you I am making sure they have all of their needs away from the chickens'. So could you give me tips on what to do with my new pigeons before I put them in there with my other birds? Thank you so much, anything will help! [​IMG]

2. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    You might want to double check that, our local poultry auctions/swaps require p/t testing but pigeons don't get tested as they are a differnt family of birds and (as far as I know) don't carry those diseases. However there are a host of other illnesses that you could bring home so it would probably be a good idea to quarentine them just to be safe.

3. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Well as far as testing goes, all signs and flyers say that "All birds must be tested" so I guess I assume that means pigeons too but I could very well be wrong. And how long would you say I should quarentine them?

4. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Ours say that too because all gallifourms and waterfowl are tested or certified clean but doves, pigeons, and cage birds are the exception. [​IMG] I would keep them seperate for a month.

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    My swap says that to, but if you ask, they say they dont test pigeons & cage birds.
    I say seperate for a month

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by