What to do when it gets cold? And I mean COLD! :|

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AppleCrisp, Nov 24, 2007.

1. AppleCrisp

AppleCrisp Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2007
    Hello.
    Where I am in winter it ranges anywhere from -20 to -45, I don't have any chickens yet... But I'm planning to. I just need to figure things out first. [​IMG]
    So when it gets to be -40\\-45 what can I do to keep these guys warm?
    I don't know if I would be able to put a heater in there due to the fact that a heater has to be plugged in... Any ideas?[​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

-40/-45???Celcius or farenheight?? either way....THATS DARNED COLD! I would ask around at the local feed stores...see what others there do for thier chickens. I would say...a nice coop...insulated..draft free..and LOTS of pine shaveings! Where are you located????

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If you can't run heat emitter bulbs due to the lack of power then you will have to rely on a draft free and well insulated coop that is not overly large for the amount of chickens you have. Lots of people do exactly that, and chickens produce enough body heat to weather the winter well.

Deep litter method will help a lot too. Check it out on the search feature here.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  4. AppleCrisp

AppleCrisp Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2007
    'C lol [​IMG]
    I'll check with a feed store. [​IMG] Although to be honest I don't really know anyone else who has chickens [​IMG]
    What are some suggestions for draft free?
    I'm in Manitoba, Canada. And it gets cold. lol
    How does deep litter work?
    Thanks

5. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
  6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:Johnnyjack, how do you like having wood shavings in your run? How many chickens do you have? Man, your run and coop are soooooo clean. I like the tarp. It looks really heavy duty.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Could you build winter quarters for the chickens somewhere close enough to run a heavy-duty outdoor extension cord?

Pat, in Ontario, having only ever gotten down to -31 C

8. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i would definitely check with a feed store somewhere near you. they would have the experience and know what the trouble spots and solutions are.

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Chicken parkas maybe?!

10. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    Smitty's Farm :

Johnnyjack, how do you like having wood shavings in your run? How many chickens do you have? Man, your run and coop are soooooo clean. I like the tarp. It looks really heavy duty.

well i have enjoyed the shavings its alot easyer to clean just keep adding . this is the first winter i have tried them so but its gota be better than the hay.we have 2 black jersey giant hens 2 andalusian hens and a rose comb leghorn rooster. and iv got 4 leghorn chicks about 9weeks old.got the tarp from northern tool an equipment supply. 34.00. but as of now iv got problems with this IBV says it will run its course in about 10- 14 days i hope so one of my hens is realy bad.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by