1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do when u see a beak poking membrane 6 days before hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PearlD, Apr 18, 2007.

1. PearlD

PearlD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Northwest Alabama
    I candled for the last time this AM, and was surprised to see a beak poking around in the membrane to the air sac. I don't think it went thru the membrane....but it was doing some major pushing against it!! My ducks are due to hatch Tues......that is 6 days away!! Should I move them to the hatcher? Raise the humidity? Are they early.... or is this normal? I posted on EZ, but nobody responded.......Thanks!!!!
    Janet

2. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    I have never hatched ducks so I won't be much help. Is your temp correct for hatching ducks? Has it held steady? What is your humidity? Hope someone can come along soon and help you!
    Best wishes

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Don't know about ducks, but chickens poke their beaks into the air cell about three days before they hatch.

4. PearlD

PearlD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Northwest Alabama
    Well, the temp may have been a little high, but I'm using still air, so I thought it was ok. Been averaging about 100.9 until 3 days ago, then it shot up to 102. I lowered the temp to 100.9 then candled them this AM. I went ahead and moved them to the hatcher, because one them was really rockin around! I am 100% sure my dates are correct. Unless mallards hatch early, I counted 28 days.....
    I'll just wait and see what happens!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by