What to do when your 5 month old Pekin drake dies.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by klinekoop4, Aug 8, 2011.

1. klinekoop4

klinekoop4 New Egg

Mar 5, 2011
    This morning I found my 5 month old drake in the mouth of one of our dogs.....dead, of course. He leaves behind his mate, Sundance. Everything I've read indicates ducks don't fare well alone. Should I try and find another 5 month old male to introduce to her? I'm in Asheville, NC, and would love any feedback, please. I'm devastated at this loss and do not want her to die of a broken heart. ANY SUGGESTIONS would be greatly appreciated.

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Any other duck would be fine! They are very social animals and don't do too well alone.
    If you can't find another drake her age, any duck should do. It can be another female, or a drake of any breed. As long as they are about the same size (you probably shouldn't put a duckling in with her) they should get along just fine.

When I first started out with two, the mate died after a few years. I put the hen in with my chickens so she wouldn't be alone, and she did just fine. The following spring I found her a mate, and now they are inseparable [​IMG] so worst case, you could get a chicken or two to put with her until you can find another duck.

I hope this helps!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She will not die of a broken heart, but another duck, male or female, would make her happier.

4. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    EIther sex or any breed would be fine. I am sure she will fare alright until you get her a pal. She will be happier with one of her own kind. If you can, get another male/female pair or just two more females. Then, if anything happens to one, there are still two to keep each other company.
    When I lost my two females to nightshade poisoning, my drake was alone for a week. He was miserable, but nothing horrible happened. He just ran all over the place looking for his girls, it was very sad. When I got him a friend, you could tell he was so happy. He ate and stuff while he was alone, but he was visibly upset.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by