What to do while storing hatching eggs???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Urbanchickenfarmer, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Urbanchickenfarmer

Urbanchickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    OK so i am going to store some fertile eggs from one of my hens for a few days... and ive been looking everywhere to see whether i should turn the eggs and keep them elevated at a 45 degree angle.

SO many things say different stuff.... What would you recomend i do, by your previous experience???

2. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    I used to just store them small end down for up to two weeks. Nowadays I turn them once a day. Don't know if it makes any difference one way or the other. I've hatched a lot of eggs using both methods.

Jim

3. Urbanchickenfarmer

Apr 27, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Oh ok thanx for the help!!! [​IMG]
    ya i wasnt sure also because someone said something about storing the eggs for someone so that they wouldn't settly??? What does that mean?

4. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    If eggs are stored on their side without turning, the theory is the yolk will "settle" to the bottom and somehow adhere there. I don't believe that would happen in only a few days however.

Jim

5. Urbanchickenfarmer

Apr 27, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    oh ok. thats wierd. Ya i doubt that would happen like that. plus ive always been told to store point down..... so that wouldnt happen

6. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I was told to store pointy end down in cartons but to tilt the carton at 45 degrees and then tilt the other way a couple of times a day. They also need to be cool but not cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by