What to do with a bare back on an EE?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken_angler, Oct 27, 2008.

1. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I bought her from a friend in the summer and her back was already pecked from his 10 roosters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What can I do to help it heal?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2008
  2. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Is there some sort of med. I can put on it? I will look when I go to the feed store later today.

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

a skirt will help,, so the roo isnt so hard on her,,,,, and for my bare backs,, i had 1 BAD one,, i gave her medicated chickstart,, in 3 weeks she was fully feathered. ,, or it may have been 2 weeks,, i aint good on time [​IMG]

4. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    My rooster isnt pecking her. It was her previous owner's roosters that pecked her.

5. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    what else can i put on it?
    Will she be alright through winter?
    thanx!

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
  7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    No apparent infection so I'd just leave her alone. Feathers will grow back normally.
    Are you sure you don't have to WRITE out the math problems? [​IMG]

8. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I put a saddle on mine...After the initial shock of something hanging around on her back she is fine with it. She was so mad at me at first though

9. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Yup! i dont have to write out the problems in math class. I am always the one with the first answer.

I hope she will be fine.

10. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    This is quite common and as long as there is no infection and she isn't being picked on or being give "too much attention" by your roo [​IMG] she should heel just fine and the feathers will grow back in their own good time. If it looks raw you can put a thin layer of neosporin on it to help it heal more quickly if you just feel you have to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by