What to do with a broody sitting on dead eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by naturemom, Aug 3, 2008.

1. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    It seems I have a black thumb when it comes to hatching. First time, set 6 eggs in an incubator, 1 hatched. 2nd time, set 6 eggs in the bator, 1 hatched with help and died. Third time, set 4 eggs under a broody hen. It looked like things would go better this time. I candled once a week-1 blood ring on day 7, but the rest grew and developed nicely. Friday was supposed to be hatch day. Nothing happened. I took a quick peek with my mini-maglite while she was off the nest to eat, and all 3 had pipped internally, so I thought they'd hatch yesterday. Today, I checked. 1 zipped halfway and died. Nothing happened with the other 2 eggs. Candled, no movement.
    So now what do I do with my poor, determined hen? She's been sitting for about 5 weeks (they're duck eggs, and it took me a few days to get them after she went broody.) This is the 7th time she's been broody this year. Usually I put her in a wire cage and she gets over it in a few days, but I imagine it would take a lot longer this time since she's been sitting on the nest for so long. Should I give her more eggs? How long can she stay broody without it being a health concern? She's not showing any sign of losing interest. I have to try hatching some more somehow-bator or hen-because my 1 duckling needs a friend and I haven't been successful and finding any around here.

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    You might try ordering a small batch from Ideal or somewhere close by. Put them under her at night and see if she will take them.

3. naturemom

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    I need a smaller number than I can get shipped. That's why I've been trying to hatch in the first place.

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Mypetchicken.com does small orders of chicks. I believe their minimum is 3. I have never order chicks but others might know if they are good.

5. naturemom

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    I don't have room for more chickens. I've been trying to hatch ducks.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Look on Craigslist.com in your area (search:ducks)
    also I would not allow her to sit again, she could get weak and die (hear many bad storys) !!! How old is the baby you hatched ????

7. naturemom

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    I've been checking craigslist daily since the one duck hatched. Nothing. (Well, once somebody posted some ducklings for sale, but they sold immediately before I could get one.) I've been trying all summer to get some ducklings. That's not the issue right now. My question is what do I do with this hen that is so determined to be broody? Should I put her in the wire cage like I would have in the first place if I had not wanted her to set? If I do, how long should I keep her in there?

ETA: The duckling is 6 weeks old.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  8. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry you are having trouble getting a duckling hatch or even finding ducklings. [​IMG] I think you should break your broody. It shouldn't take more than a few days since she has been broody so long. I've had to do the same before. If she has been broody 5wks already she needs to be broken. It really isn't good for her to be broody for too long. Her health will be compromised. I don't know how ducklings are w/age differences but with chicks you are better off finding friends who are close to the same age. There is enough pecking/bullying going on with chicks the same age but you get a large enough age gap and you are asking for trouble unless you have a "mom" watching out for the young ones. I wish you the best in finding a duckling friend for your little one. Maybe someone on here who lives close by can sell/give you one. Try posting (if you haven't already) your request.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by