1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what to do with a hen ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by superflyer, Feb 25, 2015.

1. superflyer

superflyer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    i have a hen that last night roost in the nest box over night on eggs. then she when back in the nest box to sit but do not no when and sat on the eggs for some time then got off then never return to the nest box until tonight.
    broody or starting to be broody
    what should i do

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    It sounds like she may be thinking of going broody. She may not stay put until she feels she has the right amount of eggs to sit on. Once she stays on the nest for three days and nights in a row, she is setting. Do you want chicks? If not, just take eggs out twice a day. If she won't stay out of the nest even with no eggs you may have to "break a broody". This next question is may seem stupid but I see you are new here so, do you have a rooster? I only ask bc hens will brood without a rooster which is of course, useless. Welcome to our flock, ask anything you like! [​IMG] Oh ya, if you want chicks, mark the date on new eggs (with a pencil) when they appear and then mark the date on the calender when you are convinced she has qualified as setting. That is the day where you can start counting to hatch. 21 days is the guideline but not set in stone. Good luck!

3. superflyer

Feb 25, 2015
    yes i do have a rooster
    she is aka sitting on 10 fake eggs (when she sits)
    i do have one hen that is broody
    is there a pre-broody

4. superflyer

Feb 25, 2015
    and how long can i keep my eggs for until she go broody

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    eggs are only good for six days before they start losing the ability to develop.

6. superflyer

Feb 25, 2015
    i check to she what she would do (night time here )and all she did was trying to peck me (no sound like a broody hen would do)

7. superflyer

Feb 25, 2015
    update the first time i when out there to give fresh water she was in the nest about 6am
    2nd time i when out there (7 am) to see what she would do which it was 30 minutes later she was out of the nest with the other chickens
    i will keep updating to give you more info on what she is doing and it my help you out what i should do
    thank you for your help

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Here is a good write-up from an expert on how to store eggs for incubation. I think he is over the top on some of the things he recommends or suggests, but if the eggs are stored properly and turned there is no significant drop-off in hatchability for a couple of weeks.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/...e-Cartwright-Incubating-and-hatching-eggs.pdf

I’ve had many hens show some signs of going broody without ever kicking over into full broody mode. Even a hen not even close to going broody might defend her nest by growling and pecking at you if you stick your hand in there. I’ve had hens puff up and walk around making that pucking sound for a few days, one even a week, and never really go broody. I’ve had hens spend one night on the nest and never kick into full broody mode. Some of these after a few days do kick over into full broody mode. Some break themselves.

Some hens you can pretty much tell at first glance, yes she is serious. But I still require her to sit on the nest for two consecutive nights before I give her any eggs. She has to prove herself.

I guess you could call this behavior “pre-broody” but it is no guarantee she will kick over into full broody mode. Only time will tell.

9. superflyer

Feb 25, 2015
    will i think i will just put her on the roost if she in the nest box
    she has not sit on them all day

10. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I agree with @Ridgerunner about false brooding. You never mentioned what breed. I can tell you from my own experience that you cannot trust production birds to brood to finish. I will tell you which birds I have had that have never gone for more than a day or never thought of brooding at all. They are: BO,SLW,BSL,RIR,EE, Isa brown and Amberlink. Some people have had BO's brood to hatch but I don't think there are too many. I mean, I hope your birds do brood successfully but if they are any of the breeds listed here, don't hold your breath! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by