1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with a lone bird

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by masschicken, May 17, 2016.

1. masschicken

masschicken New Egg

May 17, 2016
    So, I had a small flock of 4 (all under a year). One stopped laying, then a few weeks later started looking lethargic. I took her to a vet. The vet said she looked good but was a bit thin. We gave fluids and some broad based antibiotic, but she died anyway. Then another one stopped laying. I brought her to the vet. The exam was fine. This time we did blood work. She had a slightly elevated lead level and was slightly anemic, but not enough to cause concern. So for diagnostic purposes, the next best bet is to necropsy the bird that died. That is being done today. BUT, the reason for my post is this. The third bird did not lay yesterday. It could be a fluke, but if she gets sick too, that will leave me with one bird.

I certainly can't add to my flock until we know what is going on and remove the problem (something toxic they are getting into or cure whatever bug they have). I certainly can't give one remaining bird away (who would want to add a bird to their flock that has been exposed to something).

It seems inhumane to have the remaining healthy chicken watch her family die and leave her alone. What can I do for my bird?

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Its never good to have a lone bird, its like having a lone person (or fish I suppose) but since I can see its worrysome to add or give away a exposed bird I dont see anything that could help her, just give her attention (if she is friendly and wants it)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by