What to do with a naughty rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tennesseechickie, Aug 5, 2011.

1. tennesseechickie

tennesseechickie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Lewisburg, TN
    Hi yall,
    I have a 2 too many roosters, and of course my favorite, my RIR, comes at me sometimes, skidding toward me sideways. Yesterday he actually pecked my leg through my pants and it left a mark. Im just wondering if there is something I can do to change this aggresive behavior toward me or if he just needs to be gotten rid of. He is protective of his girls, but I cant have an aggresive rooster on my hands. Now I know better than to try to make pets out of a roo! I was always petting them when they were chicks.
    So anything to do to change his behavior? I have a 3 year old that Im thinking about down the road too. My roo is about 17 weeks old.

Thanks!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I wouldn't risk an aggressive rooster with a child. All it takes is once, and that child is scarred. (and scared of chickens too)

3. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    At 17 weeks, he sounds too agressive to have around a child.
    My little flock started out with 12 roosters! Ameraucanas are know for their tameness but there were those who challenged me early. I kept an eye on them and they did turn out to be too agressive when they got older. They were smaller than our king roo, Elvis, who outweighed them by at least a pound and they never challenged him. They did challenge me. I can handle that if I had to, but I had read on here something that sealed thier fate : How would I feel if, because he was pretty or the only one of that type, I kept him. Then he came at a child (and I don't have any of my own either) at the same height he comes at me. They could hit me at hip level. That's eye level for a child. One good hook with just a toe nail and you have at least a permanaent scar if not blindness. That's what I thought of when I decided who went to freezer camp. Once they have hit you, you can never trust them completely ever again, no matter what training or gentling you do with him.
    I still have "good" roosters and they are polite, but I will never trust these guys fully with a child as thier buddies had proven untrustworthy.
    He's doing this at 17 weeks? NO No No
    I'm in total agreement with Happy Chooks.

4. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Put him in the stewpot...

5. 1320

1320 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Isolate or relocate, it's not worth it....

[​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I too have been hit at hip level. He never went after my kids, DH or strangers - just me. But I got tired of having to watch my back - he's not around anymore. It was a hard decision because he had good qualities too - he was really good at watching over babies and protecting them.

I've also had a puncture wound in my leg from a spur. I can tell you it hurts like heck.

My welsummer rooster is a total gentleman, so why keep a bad one around when you could have a good one? At 17 weeks, his hormones are just starting to kick in. By 6 months to a year it will get much worse in the hormones department.

7. gdplum

gdplum Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2010
    Tulsa
    ...or chicken n' dumplins'

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by