what to do with a weak baby

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gabrielle1976, Apr 1, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Early this morning I had a baby hatch she was the last the others hatched 1 and 2 days befor her. She has a scab on her bottom and dostn try to walk . She seems small and pretty puny I have her serperated from the rest they walk all over her , I hve her at about 100 is this alright, I will offer her food and water when I get home right now she is sleeping in mini critter carrier in witht he other chicks so she can see them and is warm but they cant get to her. Does anyone have any ideas what may have happend to her. There was a little more blood then when most of the others hatched . How long do you give babies to perk up befor you worry about them ?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Anyone?
    Please

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  3. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I don't know what would have caused it, but I would do exactly what you are doing. Hopefully, she will eat and drink enough, and in a few days she will catch up with the others. Good Luck!

4. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I know with songbirds, parrots, etc, that any problems during hatching can be fatal. There is actually a LOT that goes on biologically during the hatch, and perhaps she had a rough time hatching out.

Hopefully warmth and a little peace and quiet will help her pull through.

5. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I wouldn't worry quite yet. You may want to lower the temps about 5 degrees. I know they are tired after hatching and this one sounds like it had something going on with it. Runts can survive, just give it some time. Get that food and water to her soon as possile. Good luck [​IMG]

6. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i had a very sick baby button quail a few days ago, it took him all day to recover. try giving him some sugar water or quik-chick if you have it. he should do fine. i hope he pulls through [​IMG]

7. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I had a chick like that last year, you are doing the right things so far, just make sure it starts eating and drinking. I ended up buying a bantam chick from the feed store a week later as
    it kept peeping without a buddy. It was stunted until it was about 4 months old then made up for lost time and was my biggest roo. Of course those two ended up both roosters and the best buddies ever.... actually found them a home together.

Good luck!

8. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I have babies hatching like friday or saterday I think so if it perks up but stays small I may put it with some of them .
    Thatsa good idea , That brings me to a whole new can of worms though. I have babies taht will be about 5 days old can they be put in with the new ones ??

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I mix them with a weeks difference in age with no problems.

10. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Yeah I have bought from multiple hatcheries before and had a week or so age difference between my chicks with no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by