What to do with all these eggs?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by andischickenfarm, Jun 19, 2007.

1. andischickenfarm

andischickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I have 19 hens and they are laying left and right! I've givin all my family some and our church some, but I'm syill getting them by the dozen! What can I do with the rest of them? I just can't let them ruin! If you have any ideas please let me know!

Thanks,
    Andi

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    hi you can scramble them up and feed them back to the chickens and crush the shells and give it to them

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    You could boil them up and feed them to your chickens. [​IMG] Mash them up, eggshell and all, it's an excellent source of calcium and protein!!

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Hey Chickencrazzy!!! We think alike, but you must type faster!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    Have you asked the local food bank if they take donations? Ours does, and I plan to take our extras there in sets of 6.

Other churches and charity organizations would be another good spot to try.

Lastly, I think you can freeze them. Maybe someone else can shed more light on that... probably good for winter when they slow their laying, or for when they molt.

-MTchick

6. imloulou

imloulou Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Florida Gulf Coast
    Do you have a local farmers market?...they usually take fresh eggs and will sell them for you. You may not be in it to make money but sell some of them just to pay for some of your chicken food? We are definitely not in it to make money but I have already had a few offers for people looking to sell the eggs.

7. Poultryisgood

Poultryisgood Cooped Up

Jun 15, 2007
    HI Andi i sent you a email please check i think you will like what i said! thanks so much

8. andischickenfarm

Jun 19, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Thanks for all the replies! And I've got another question. How much should I sell a dozen of Medium eggs for? And has anyone ever shipped eggs before? And if so how did that turn out?

Thanks,
    Andi

9. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    Just a suggestion... but I hear pickled eggs are great and specially if they are pickled in your pickle juice... I have a recipe if your interested...

Arklady

10. andischickenfarm

Jun 19, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Yes, I would love the recipe! I thought about making Angel Food Cakes too! I found a local Famer's Market and I'm wandering if I pickled some and made angel food cakes if they would let me sell them there? I've never done Farmer's Market. And I didn't know if they allow food.

Thanks,
    Andi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by