What to do with an 8 month Rooster?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Illia, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Hey, I've got a troublesome BR rooster, he's maybe 8 months, no more than a year old, can't even be 10mo yet. . But he needs to go. Is he too old for good food yet, and just a rooster for the pot, or is there anything else I can do with him (food-wise)? I'm not the biggest fan of stew, but homeraised rooster is pretty good either way. Any suggestions?

2. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    We take our hens that have slowed down laying and butcher them and use them for chicken and noodles. They are sometimes 3 years old. If you boil them, take off the meat, and make chicken and noodles with it then it makes a great meal. We just put 7 in the freezer this past week.

3. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Some options....

- Make Coq Au Vin (Chicken in Wine). Cooks a long time, tenderizes the meat, includes veggies and crumbled bacon....and it's delicious!

- Pound boneless breast meat out thin (this tenderizes the meat) and use in a Chicken Piccata recipe.

- Cover with water, cook until soft. Debone and use meat in a meatpie. Make gravy for the meatpie from the stock. Or make chicken and gravy over rice.

- Canning: Debone and can the meat - perfect for any recipe using cooked chicken. Cook the bones down with onons, celery and carrots for a stock. Can the stock, then use in soups, stews, beans, or any recipe requiring chicken broth.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Thanks for the suggestions! Today is his day, so I think we'll use the bones for stock, and tenderize the meat for something good - the Piccata sounds interesting! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by