What to do with an abandoned wild duckling?

Christine1

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
I'm wondering if you can tell me the right thing to do. A wild mallard has a nest by my front porch and today (or yesterday) the ducklings hatched. One of the ducklings does not walk well and gets stuck on its back. Mama duck left this morning with the other ducklings, headed towards a pond 2 blocks away. The lame duckling left behind looked half dead on the sidewalk in the cold, and I was sure a cat would get it.

I couldn't bear to let it die there alone and cold, so I put it in a box with a heating pad, thinking it could at least be comfortable while it died. Now it's four hours later and the poor thing has perked up a bit and I'm at work with an adorable peeping duckling in a box.

Now what should I do???? I don't want a pet duck (I'm not sure it's even legal since it's a wild duck). I suppose it will probably still die, but how can I make sure it's as comfortable as possible? Or is it possible to nurse it to health? Should I feed it? I'm in Des Moines, IA. If there are any people in my area who would love to nurse a duckling, do you know how I could find them?

Thanks so much!
Christine

Call the DNR or local vet offices to look for a wildlife rehabilitator. Or find someone that has ducklings locally willing to raise another. You usually need a permit to have mallards so keep that in mind when asking around.
Aprille

Back
Top Bottom